Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Favorite Microbrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
msmith81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Favorite Microbrew

Well I used the search button, but didn't come up with anything for a few of my favorite things. I guess since they sell it, even at a local level, it's a commercial brew.

Whenever I go to to Gatlinburg, I get my favorite microbrews. Velas Helles (obvious style in the name) and ThunderRoad (bottle describes it as a Classic Bohemian Pilsner).

Love to go get a few when I'm in town, which sadly isn't often! Great beers, but they're not pasturized so transporting them home to the Dayton Ohio area is kinda... interesting. Involves 2 coolers in my trunk and lots of ice. but so worth having a great brew at home. Last time I managed to bring home a case of both.

I was kind of suprised not to find anything on these or the brewery itself (If nobody objects, I'll mention the name, I'm not sure how "product placements" go here, and don't wanna cross any toes. Take my word for it, I'm not affiliated with them. Just a fan!)

Hoping someone here knows what I'm talking about! Be a shame to keep it a secret, or be the only one that's had them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Plugging your favorites (or something new) is exactly what this section is for. Putting in the city & state can help travelers, as well.

If you are selling it, then we have the vendors' area.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-02-2007, 05:22 AM   #4
Willsellout

Recipes 

Rogue brewery in Newport Oregon and Eel River Brewery in Fortuna, CA are two of my fav's! Deschutes is killer too!

Dan

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 03-02-2007, 06:03 AM   #5
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Here in Wisconsin I like Sprecher Brewing, their Special Amber and Dopple Bock in particule. Lakefront Brewery has good beers too, their ESB is my fav. commersial beer on the market. Capital and New Glarus are good too. Beer is good, it all has it's place(not looking for a fight about BMC).

Old 03-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

My favorite NW Micro is Boundary Bay Brewing Company in Bellingham WA. Great consistent beers across all styles, and a killer Imperial IPA! Favotite micros in general are Russian River in Santa Rosa CA, Walking Man in Stevenson WA, Pelican in Pacific City OR, Hair of the Dog in Portland OR and Jolly Pumpkin in Dexter MI.

Naked City Construction Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:40 AM   #7
HCNate
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Brewtopia:

Right on with the Boundary Bay! A buddy of mine is from Bellingham and brings back some Boundary Bay every once and a while. Last trip he brought back the Cabin Fever, which rocks.

Speaking of giving a local plug, Northern Lights here in Spokane really is an awesome brewery, as well as Laughing Dog up in Ponderay, Idaho. Both make a couple kick ass Imperial IPAs as anniversary brews.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:57 AM   #8
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

I had Laughing Dog for the first time at the Fresh Hop Festival in Yakima last summer. Northern Lights is great beer as well but we never see them over here in Western WA. I had a Boundary Bay Imperial IPA tonight at Collins Pub. Tried it along side Stone Ruination and it blows Stone out of the water!(IMHO)

Naked City Construction Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
msmith81
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtopia
Direct link: http://www.smoky-mtn-brewery.com/

Yeah, it's owned by Calhouns. Brewed at the Smoky Mountain Brewery, and they distribute it to their sister restaurants. In Gatlinburg there's the Brewery (which has kick ass pizza and wings), Calhouns, and Cherokee Grill. They all serve the SMB microbrews. And if you go to other Calhouns outside Gatlinburg, they sell most the brews too. But the closer you get to the Brewery the fresher the beer. Had it at Knoxville one time, and would rather have gone the extra distance to Gatlinburg to have it directly from the Brewery. Besides, the Brewery is much cooler looking and has a great look and location.

The ThunderRoad has been my thing of late when I'm there. It's more hoppy, but the Velas is so smooth and fruity. It's got a great flavor and leaves you with a clean after taste. Turned my buddy onto these beers when he went with his wife to the area, he ended up in the Brewery most the time. She wasn't pleased I guess.

It's pretty cool, you can see the brew tanks when you enter the building. And they had stacks of bags awaiting their chance to be used as ingredients.

I think Velas won the Gold Medal in 1999 at the Great American Beer Festival. Bottle describes it as a Light German Style Lager. I think it's a pretty good brew. Wish I could get it locally though. It's a 350 mile trip to get my beer, but I bring back a fridge full.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:48 AM   #10
AleHole
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I have so many favorites its impossible to narrow it down to one. Mac & Jack's African Amber is a great local brew but I also like Deschutes Brewery out of Bend OR and Lost Coast Brewery out of Northern CA

Quick Reply