Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > favorite 'big' beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
debtman7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default favorite 'big' beers

I'm looking for some more ideas on beers to try, out of fear that maybe I'm just not the type of guy who likes big highly revered beers I've been trying some lately, shelled out a small fortune, and overall I've been pretty underwhelmed... So far I have sampled:

Westmall Tripel - this was good, very clean and light for a 9% ABV beer. But overall I thought it was rather unexciting for $6 / 11 oz bottle. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but I expected more for the price...

Trappist Rochefort 10 - this one smelled fantastic. But I couldn't drink much. It was strong, fruity and reminded me more of a wine than a beer. But it was somewhat like sipping cognac, had a strong alcohol presense, and I can't see myself drinking something like this on a regular basis. And $8 for an 11 ounce bottle is, um, yikes!

AleSmith Old Numbskull Barleywine - this one wasn't a big hit with me or the wife, especially at $15 a bottle. It was very heavy on the malty side with little hop flavor. Too malty for us... I'm curious how it would have been aged, but as it was, I can't see spending money on it again...

Avery Hog Heaven Barleywine - I liked this, my wife loved it. Really great hop and spice flavor with enough malt to balance, but still tipped to the hop side. It was intense in a great way. At $5 a bottle, a relative steal as well.

Rogue Imperial Stout - this gets the award for coolest bottle. $12 a bottle is pretty high, but the wife and I got totally smashed on it. This was potent! Taste wise, it was definately tasty but honestly, I could do with a thinner body and not so much molasses. It was a really thick dark beer, which I know is the idea of an imperial stout. We like it, but not enough that we'd ever buy it regularly. On the plus side, it got us drunk quick and we had a fun night

So, what is everyone's favorite big beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
Alembic
Recipes 

I don't know where you live but if you have access to any beers by Stone brewing from CA I strongly reccomend them.

In my opinion they are the kings of the Big Beers.

One of my favorites is the Ruination. It is great as a special occasion beer. I couldn't drink it every day because it would just burn out my tastebuds. Any other IPA would wind up tasting like Bud.

I picked up 4 bottles of the 10th ann IPA and am saving them.

I have yet to be dissapointed by any of their beers.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
debtman7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alembic
I don't know where you live but if you have access to any beers by Stone brewing from CA I strongly reccomend them.

In my opinion they are the kings of the Big Beers.

One of my favorites is the Ruination. It is great as a special occasion beer. I couldn't drink it every day because it would just burn out my tastebuds. Any other IPA would wind up tasting like Bud.

I picked up 4 bottles of the 10th ann IPA and am saving them.

I have yet to be dissapointed by any of their beers.
Well I also had a bottle of Stone IPA and Arrogant Bastard, both of which I really liked. I haven't tried any of their big beers yet...

Old 10-24-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Old Crustacean - Roque, Tannenbomb - Golden Valley, Snowplow - Widmer, Colossus - Oggi's Pizza & Brewing are some great heavies, but I think my favorites have been one-off seasonals.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-24-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

That 10th Anniversary is great, but good luck finding any more of it now. As far as their regular brews, I really like Arrogant Bastard and the IPA. Another big beer I enjoy is North Coast's Old Rasputin Imperial Stout.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 10-24-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
Brewnurse

Recipes 

just tried the Belhaven Brewery Wee Heavy! Very hummy! Very nice beer, imho. I think it is from Scotland?

Stephen
Primary #1:Apple Cider(x2)
Secondary #1:Honey Stout (10 Gal)
Drinking, Ed's Original Apfelwein, Cheesefood's Ale, Krolsh, Ed's House Ale, Nut Brown
Kegged, B's Honey Wheat

Old 10-25-2006, 01:13 AM   #7
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Does Piraat count? I tried one a few months back, it was 10.5% ABV. Very strong in flavor and you can really taste the alcohol. All in all a good beer.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:09 AM   #8
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My favorite big beer so far is Imperial Hellfire.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:20 AM   #9
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here are some suggestions for some big beers from the northeast:

Weyerbacher (easton, pa) - insanity (their "blithering idiot" barleywine aged in oak casks) or heresy (which is their imperial stout aged in oak casks)

Smuttynose (NH) - wheat wine (this is a 12% wheat ale with a ton of flavor). this was THE beer of the recent Brewtopia fest in NYC.

Great Divide's Oak Aged Yeti (which I was fortunate to try via a trade I made here) is an amazing big beer.

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

As most of the beers I drink these are from the great state of the cheese heads:

Specher's Dopple Bock, a fully balenced beer not sweet, not bitter and couldn't tasste the alchohol in it.
Capital's Autumnal Fire, also a dopple bock but the best red color I have ever seen.

Quick Reply