Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Fat Tire in WI/IL

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 02:52 AM   #1
abraxas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fat Tire in WI/IL

Had a bunch of Fat Tires whenever I would travel west, and on the occasion somebody had some locally and always enjoyed them/was slightly dissapointed I couldnt it locally. Then last week I noticed some in a Milwaukee bar which i had assumed were "smuggled".

Then this weekend I found out they had a Chicago release of this beer.

Unfortunately, I was a little dissapointed with the bottle I got. Just didn't seem to be as good as I remembered. Now I am wondering if it tasted differently, or just seemed to due to fact that it is now apparently accessable locally...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hi abraxas - I'm much the same, have always looked forward to a pint of Fat Tire when I go west to ski. I'm planning to get some this weekend in Chicago to compare to my latest clone brew (Fat Boy)...I'll let you know how it tastes (the Fat Tire, that is...I know mine will be good )

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Old 05-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think New Belgium is setting itself up for a failure here. People WANT fat tire badly. Even those that have never had it.

Why is this? Because there is so much talk about it and it's unavailable. This is causing Fat Tire to get an inflated value. It has kind of made the beer mythical, and I personally feel that when they finally DO unleash it on the eastern half of the US, there are going to be a LOT of dissapointed people. Of course, there will be a large number of people who will convince themselves that it is the best beer in the world simply because they waited so long to get it, but for those that are very critical of beer the reception might be a disaster. I can hear comments like, "What's the big deal? This isn't that special."

Personally, I feel that the beer's reputation is better than the beer itself. Not that the beer is bad... I really like it. But to hear people talk about it and the lengths they will go to in an effort to aquire some, it makes the beer sound like the beer to end all beers, or like it was drawn from the kettle of some brewing god.

-walker

Old 05-03-2006, 03:11 PM   #4
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

fat TIRE...fat TIRE...fat TAR (okay, that was for Dude).

I agree with Walker. I've had the beer before and it's great, but not life altering. It's kind of the Cuban cigar of east of the Mississippi.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yup... and for historical reference; people used to make pilgrimages to buy COORS. Yeah, that's right... COORS.

Granted, coors is a huge financial success, but does anyone think that a case of coors is worth a 1500 mile drive or airmail freight charges?

-walker

Old 05-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
abraxas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
Yup... and for historical reference; people used to make pilgrimages to buy COORS. Yeah, that's right... COORS.

Granted, coors is a huge financial success, but does anyone think that a case of coors is worth a 1500 mile drive or airmail freight charges?

-walker
My father tells stories about how legendary Coors was when he was in college and I hardly believed him.

I suppose its the same thing that the toy companies do around the holidays.

Less supply=greater hype=greater demand.

The 22z Fat Tires were selling for $4 in store and $7 in a bar.

I bought a bottle in store, but I think $2.50 would have been a more appropriate price.

I wonder if this is a limited time release or permanent thing?

Old 05-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
waskelton4

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

-walker
Cledus and the Bandit do!!
Eastbound and Down BABY!!!

BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!

Primary - AHS Mild Ale

Old 05-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #8
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Personally, I feel that the beer's reputation is better than the beer itself. Not that the beer is bad... I really like it. But to hear people talk about it and the lengths they will go to in an effort to aquire some, it makes the beer sound like the beer to end all beers, or like it was drawn from the kettle of some brewing god.

-walker
Point very well taken - at least for me part of the enjoyment is the fact that you're in a bar at 9000 feet rehashing the day's killer skiing. The Fat Tire, for folks 'out east', is just part of the added experience.

Fat Tire + ski bunnies + log cabin = fantastic memories.
Fat Tire + your poker buddies + your garage = 'eh'

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Old 05-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a 6er when I was in TX and I wasn't all that impressed. It was different, but not great.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:

-walker
Both breweries are in Colorado. I'm also in Colorado and I have to say I like both products. I do however agree that Fat Tire is good beer but it is not something I can't live without. EDIT: Double negative?
I'm wondering if they have grown too quickly and maybe their quality control is suffering. I also wonder how fresh the beer is the further east you go. For one, is it transported cold? I don't care what type of beer heat has got to be very bad for it. I know Coors uses refrigerated trailers to transport their beer.

Cheers,
Rich

Quick Reply