Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Fans of Mac & Jack's forgive me.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #21
philrose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

what a zombie thread...

I never got the mass appeal in seattle based on beer alone. Same goes for Manny's pale ale. I think these are beers that bar owners pretty much put on because they form a relationship with the breweries. 3/4s of the bars in town have manny's or mac and jacks on tap and probably do because of the hardworking individuals who fought to get that beer in the door and are providing personalized service to keep it on draft.

The backlash has began in seattle though, eventually people will buy something else.

Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #22
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohtaylorbad View Post
Have you people never heard of capitalism? Mac and Jacks is awesome, get over it. Although it pretty much left no room for improvement it does not mean that faithful mac and jack drinkers drink solely Mac and Jacks! Variety is the spice of life and it you should look at it as a good thing that it out sells everything else.... less people drinking budweiser.

For all the people who have never heard of Mac and Jacks or can not figure out how to get it..... GOOD. it's our beer and if it gets popular Budshmeizer will buy it and then i'll have to give up on it... like Redhook.
Wow, awesome first post.

So you don't drink Redhook anymore because Budweiser has partial ownership in it (even though it's still damn good beer). Guess you might start digging more and find the other breweries that have partial ownership by Budweiser either directly or indirectly.

So if Mac and Jacks was bought out by Redhook you'd just quit drinking it because.....?

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #23
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
... Wanna talk about a ****ty amber? Alaskan.
I have to strongly disagree there. Besides, Alaskan Amber isn't really an Amber, it's an Alt. So it may just be that you don't care for Alts. I had it for the first time last June when I was in AK and loved it. Trying to work up a clone based on several different ones posted on the Interwebz.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #24
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb View Post
I have to strongly disagree there. Besides, Alaskan Amber isn't really an Amber, it's an Alt. So it may just be that you don't care for Alts. I had it for the first time last June when I was in AK and loved it. Trying to work up a clone based on several different ones posted on the Interwebz.
Could be I don't like Alts but it is more likely "the water" as I do not care for any of their beer.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #25
Myke_J
Recipes 

Interesting Top Ten beers list from the Tap House Grill here in Seattle. They have about 160 beers on tap and always have some amazing seasonals along with things like 90 Min, Gulden Drak, and Douchesse de Bourgeon year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap House
Recently we had a fan request to see the top 10 ordered beers at the Tap House.

1. Georgetown Manny’s
2. Mac & Jack’s Amber
3. Stella
4. Blue Moon
5. Bud Light
6. Boundary Bay IPA
7. Hoegaarden
8. Scuttlebutt Blonde
9. Wyder’s Pear
10. Guiness

Old 03-11-2010, 04:02 AM   #26
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke_J View Post
Interesting Top Ten beers list from the Tap House Grill here in Seattle. They have about 160 beers on tap and always have some amazing seasonals along with things like 90 Min, Gulden Drak, and Douchesse de Bourgeon year round.

I have always loved that space. Even better now that its not Planet Hollywood.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:40 AM   #27
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wow this is an old thread. Wonder if Brewtopia has ever had M&J on tap at Naked City. Down here in PDX m&j is really rare. BridgePort IPA , Widmer Hef, Mirror Pond, and Black Butte Porter dominate the entrenched micro taps, but I don't think it is a problem, per se, as every decent place has lots of taps and variety any way.

This is way beyond relevant at this late date, but I wonder what Brewtopia or others want to happen. If you are unhappy with the status quo then I suppose you need some actions to take - prod tavern owners to increase their variety, increase consumer awareness, or maybe at this point there is already a nice beer coming out of Naked City that could compete with M&J for the Seattle masses.

The point being, you can't blame the current market leader, you have to disrupt it... Should M&J withdraw their African Amber out of fairness? If the consumers are buying the heck out of it, they must be a little happy. Perhaps if they were employing ridiculous marketing techniques, or manipulative business practices ala the BMC companies, but it seems like M&J are reasonably "chill".

PS. I can't imagine that statistic about M&J being the #1 draft account in Seattle is accurate... There is a zombie army of Coors Light and Pabst drinkers in the NW and they are not easily dissuaded from their quest for horse effluent. Perhaps things are different in Seattle proper, where the money flows freely from the likes of Amazon and Microsoft.

Quick Reply