The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Explain Lovibond on Rogue bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
LakeErieBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Explain Lovibond on Rogue bottles

Can someone help me understand the Lovibond number that is listed on Rogue's bottles? Each beer lists the color in degrees Lovibond. I thought degrees Lovibond was supposed to be similar to the SRM number. However, when I look at some of the beers listed on Rogue's website, this doesn't make sense.

For example, the Shakespeare Stout is listed at 135 degrees Lovibond. As I understand SRM, once you get up to about 35-40 SRM it is black. How is Rogue measuring something that is comparitively off the chart?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
dap325
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Daril Brothers Homebrewery - Science

From what I understood, it is based on a calculation using degL/lb/gal. A quote from that link.....

"A rule sometimes used by homebrewers is that the color contributed by a malt is equal to its concentration in pounds per gallon times its color rating in degL."

Old 05-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Basically, the higher the number, the darker the beer. Its a flawed system since it only tells about light/dark. I'd go on, but thats another thread...

Old 05-16-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
LakeErieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap325 View Post
Daril Brothers Homebrewery - Science

From what I understood, it is based on a calculation using degL/lb/gal. A quote from that link.....

"A rule sometimes used by homebrewers is that the color contributed by a malt is equal to its concentration in pounds per gallon times its color rating in degL."
After reading that link and some excel spreadsheet action, it all makes sense. Thanks dude

I will try to explain in case anyone else wants to know. Assume a 5 gallon batch for this example. The formula is: degrees Lovibond * pounds / gallons

Let's say I'm trying to clone Imperial YSB, which is listed as 35 degrees Lovibond.

To come up with the grain bill, I can start with this:

11 lbs Pale 2 row @ 3.5 degrees Lovibond = 11 * 3.5 / 5 = 7.7
1 lbs Crystal 60 @ 60 degrees Lovibond = 1 * 60 / 5 = 12
1 lbs Cyrstal 80 @ 80 degrees Lovibond = 1 * 80 / 5 = 16

7.7 + 12 + 16 = 35.7

Pretty close. I have no idea if these are the correct crystal malts or correct proportions, but at least it is a starting point if I want to try to clone it.

The confusing part is that if you input these ingredient into BeerTools, it lists the color as 18.01 SRM. This was the source of my confusion.

Last edited by LakeErieBrew; 05-16-2009 at 02:05 AM. Reason: explanation

Quick Reply