Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Every Asian Beer I've Had Was Good

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2006, 03:17 AM   #1
McCall St. Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Every Asian Beer I've Had Was Good

Actually, I can't remember any asian beer I've had, but that's not saying they were bad. I just can't remember anything about them. I just was tired of the other thread in this topic and I thought I'd post this one.

I suppose most asian beers have a lot of rice in them? Do they grow barley in most asian countries?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Depends what you mean by Asia? I've been to Southern India and regularly drank ice cold Kingfisher and it was good!!! It's commercially available in the UK in Supermarkets and Curry Houses (probably brewed under licence by someone else) and it's rubbish in UK bottles. Maybe it was just the sunshine, character and heat of India that has clouded my judgement.....

Old 02-15-2006, 04:45 AM   #3
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan
Depends what you mean by Asia? I've been to Southern India and regularly drank ice cold Kingfisher and it was good!!! It's commercially available in the UK in Supermarkets and Curry Houses (probably brewed under licence by someone else) and it's rubbish in UK bottles. Maybe it was just the sunshine, character and heat of India that has clouded my judgement.....
Interesting observation. In the past I've consumed a lot of Red Stripe in Jamaica. Never tried it here at home, but I have always wondered if it would kink of suck-- I suspect that being out in the sun on 7 mile beach in January could also have clouded my judgment about Red Stripe. It sure was good there, though.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:21 AM   #4
Beermaker
The NAVY WALRUS
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Liar! Liar! Pants on Fire!

Why yes, yes I am a metrosexual!

On taps 1,2&3: Una Mas Cerveza, Ham in a Can, IPA
Primary: XINGU Clone, Rye P.A.
2ndary: Low Gluten IPA, Bourbon Oak Aged Vanilla Porter
Kegged: Sh*tty Orange Hefe, Una Mas Cerveza, Smokin Hot Blonde, Belgian Dubbel
Next up: Una Mas Cerveza, Pecan Pie

Old 02-15-2006, 05:56 AM   #5
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmditter
Interesting observation. In the past I've consumed a lot of Red Stripe in Jamaica. Never tried it here at home, but I have always wondered if it would kink of suck-- I suspect that being out in the sun on 7 mile beach in January could also have clouded my judgment about Red Stripe. It sure was good there, though.
I second that. I don't know if it was because I was caught in the moment or what, but I had a few Red Stripes sitting on the beach in Jamaica and it was damn good.

As for other asian beers--UH...you haven't had the korean beers OB or C-ASS, obviously. Terrible beers. TERRIBLE.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 02-15-2006, 08:58 PM   #6
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
As for other asian beers--UH...you haven't had the korean beers OB or C-ASS, obviously. Terrible beers. TERRIBLE.
I can get some Chinese and Thai Beers in my local Chinese Supermarket - They're sold singularly (so i could get a few different ones rather than whole Packs) but I haven't bothered trying any yet.
I've bought Chinese Dry Red Wines (from Grapes grown in China and made in a European style) from there before (I just couldn't resist!!!!!) and they weren't bad - Better than some French Reds I've drunk and paid twice the price for!

Old 02-16-2006, 04:00 AM   #7
Brewers United
Recipes 

Well I have tried a beer from Thailand called Singha and this is quite a nice beer.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
pokey
Recipes 

My wife and I went to Thailand last year - had both Singha and Beer Chang (literally = Elephant Beer if my Thai is correct). Both are similar - pretty poor in the flavor department, but pack a considerable punch compared to US beers of similar consistency. 6+% alcohol if I remember right. Like the Red Stripe comments above though....when you are sitting on a beach on Koh Samui drinking one in the middle of December, you don't mind.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
kenmc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah Beer Chang is Elephant beer. Apparently the process is a bit hit and miss, so you can end up with rocket fuel and mad dreams, or nothing. I got a hangover from hell after 3 pitchers of it.

I preferred Leo beer in Thailand, similar to beer Lao. My favourite beer that I have discovered so far on the Asian leg of my World Wide Beer Tour (TM) is Angkor Stout. Quite like ye olde Guinness, not quite so bitter. Met the head brewer of Angkor breweries - he used work in St James Gate in Guinness. Guinness is matured for 6 months apparently, Angkor Stout for 3.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:21 AM   #10
robbo
Recipes 

I love most of the Asian beers which I stumbled across.
One of the best beers I have ever had was Phuket Beer, bottled & marketed as 'Phuket beer' I managed to put away 16 bottles myself one night and build a nice pyramid on the table to the amusement of bar staff.
Stumbled down Kao San Road and could'nt remember what happened after :-)
Woke up quite refreshed.

Quick Reply