Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > English IPAs- what do you like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
BrewinBromanite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkm11b
the english IPA's ive tried have always had a stronger malt backbone, and the hops are obviously of the english variety so its less citrus/pine/tropical/dank, and more woodsey/earthy/spicey/floral etc. A book on IPA's that ive re-read numerous times showed some early ipa recipes (1800's-ish), and they were all high gravity high ibu beers.
Agreed. I've never really dabbled too much in English IPA's, so a few weeks ago I picked up about 15 different English ales (mostly IPA's), just out of curiosity, for my brother in law and I to drink during our last brew day (which made for a fun day!). We basically immersed ourselves into the English style that day. Overall, much more floral, muted hops - and most definitely more earthy/woodsy than the citrusy/piney flavors (along with the distinct Maris otter malty backbone). Some even tasted like they were hopped with dried mushrooms.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I prefer English-Inspired IPAs over pure English IPAs. Elysian Immortal IPA is one of the best in the category. It has a nice subdued bitterness, but high American hop aroma with tasty and complex British malt character.

And if you can get your hands on Three Floyd's Blackheart, try it!

Old 02-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
BrewinBromanite
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews
I prefer English-Inspired IPAs over pure English IPAs. Elysian Immortal IPA is one of the best in the category. It has a nice subdued bitterness, but high American hop aroma with tasty and complex British malt character.

And if you can get your hands on Three Floyd's Blackheart, try it!
I'll have to try these ones out. I'm kind of in the same boat. I love the big hops of American styles, but a lot of American IPA's are a little too "thin" both in flavor and body otherwise. I've been thinking of doing something like an English inspired IPA, kind of a fusion of the 2 styles. I love this aspect of home brewing - being able to create something completely your own, by pulling in different aspects of the many styles you already love - into your own personal super beer!

Quick Reply