Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Dogfish Red and White; Black and Blue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
RoaringBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Dogfish Red and White; Black and Blue

Anyone try either of these new 2007, limited availability (limited to Rehobeth Brewpub in 750mL bottles) Dogfish brews?! Just curious as I am heading down to Rehobeth this weekend for a late-spring weekend getaway and am hopefully going to be picking some of these bombers up!

I think I'm really going to enjoy the big belgian wit with orange and corriander. I had an 8.5% offering similar just a few weeks ago at Selinsgrove Brewing and it was superb.

I'm normally not a *huge* fan of 10% belgian strong ales, but I like to try as many different types, styles, etc. as possible. The black and blue *may* hit my spot with the additional fruitiness of the berries?

Oh well, if worse comes to worse I'll just be stuck drinking 60 and 90 Min IPA. What a shame.

Black & Blue
Availability: Limited - 750 ml bottles
Release Date: April 2007
New in 2007!
A belgian-style Strong ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries.
10% abv

Red & White
Availability: Limited - 750 ml bottles
Release Date: February 2007
New in 2007!
A big, belgian-style Wit brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with Pinot Noir juice. After fermentation a fraction of the batch is aged in Oregon Pinot Noir barrels, and another fraction is aged on oak staves. The beer is blended together before packaging. It successfully marries the refreshing citrusy qualities of a Belgian-style white beer with the robust complexity of a bold red wine.
10% abv

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
ColoradoXJ13
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tasted the Red and White at the Boulder Strong Ale Fest last friday...delicious, a great Wit with a definite hint of red wine.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
JayMckeever
Recipes 

i want to try these as well. I need to talk to the beer man at the store to see if he can order some !

Old 04-12-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am going to Milford in a month, hoping that they will still be available. I like the concept of aging in wine barrels, but I've had some that just went wrong ( the Glenmorangie line I just can't get used to).

I'm like a chocoholic, but for booze.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

From my understanding these beers are not distributed (sorry Jay!), but served only at the Dogfish Brewery and Eats (the original brewpub) in Rehobeth. Though I'm sure you can get them at the Milford Brewery as well? Not certain though...

Old 04-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #6
andypantz13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
From my understanding these beers are not distributed (sorry Jay!), but served only at the Dogfish Brewery and Eats (the original brewpub) in Rehobeth. Though I'm sure you can get them at the Milford Brewery as well? Not certain though...
Nah, I have picked up a couple bottles of the Red & White, and saw the Black and Blue (didn't have any money on me) last time I was at the local liquor store. They also have bottles of Pangea and Fort there, so I'm gonna have to run over with money sometime and pick up all 3.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:08 AM   #7
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Man i want to try these, and I think have the opportunity, to but have to work, a local bar up here is having a DFH hosted tasting with Limited Edition Dogfish Head Beers brought in from Sam Calagione's own cellar. But I have to work. ehhh Any one in the Dallas area its up in Addison at The flying saucer on monday at 7.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #8
freyguy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Are you sticking around for the Beer Dinner on Sunday? I think it may be sold out unless somebody cancelled, but I'll be there. Always great beer dinners. Marcell is doing a "Slathered in Sauce" theme this month.

But yes, the Red&White is great. I had some that was aged a bit at a beer dinner, and it was even better. I'll have to pick up some Black and Blue when I'm there.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We carry both of them at our store. They both taste like the base recipe for them is the Raison D'etre. There's this weird alcohol-y raisiny thing in both. Of the two, I like the Black and Blue better. It looks unreal. Such a brilliant ruby color. The fruit character isn't very up-front, more a subtle thing. I wouldn't buy them again, though, just because I don't like that raisiny thing that they both have. If they were a few bucks cheaper...maybe.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I picked up 2 bottled Red & White and 1 bottle Black & blue while down there. I plan to try them soon and post my impressions. I also got the last 12oz. bottle of 3 year-old Vintage WW Stout (one girl told me it was out of stock, then another guy ran downstairs to the basement and said he found 1!) which I'm going to save for a special occassion. And same for the 120 minute IPA I picked up...

Overall I think I'm half crazy for spending $55ish dollars on three 25oz. bottles and two 12oz. bottles, but I don't get down that way too often (2-3 times a year) and the only thing sold around here is 60 Minute, 90 Minute, and sometimes the occasional Midas Touch, Raison, or a seasonal such as Aprihop. And then I think it's worth every penny to try some very extreme beers such as a 20%+ stout or a 20%, 120IBU IPA... but we'll see once I crack them.

I got a pic of my little stash to come.

Quick Reply