Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
steelerguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA

Is it sacrilegious to think Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA isn't that good? From a lot of the talk on here I was thinking it was the holy grail of American craft beer. I bought a $10 bottle and thought it was a sweet mess! Okay, it wasn't bad, but it was certainly an over sweet barely wine to my palate. It poured with the viscosity of 0W motor oil, which was kind of cool actually. It smelled nice and hoppy but also more like wort with some ethanol added rather than beer. Then it just hit the mouth sweet, went down sweet, and left a sweet after taste. Not entirely unpleasant, but not what I am shooting for when I want a beer.

The guy at the beer store warmed me to share it with 3 or 4 other people, I thought he just couldn't take his hops. Turns out I think he was right, this was like a "dessert" beer if there ever was one. I think 3 or 4 oz. in a snifter would work, but an entire glass was overkill to me. If I cloned this I would be gifting a lot of beer to a lot of people or aging it for years...although that may improve it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

After trying the 90 min, I never bothered with the 120. 60 is perfect for me.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The 120's not that good, IMO. Of the 3, the 60 is my favorite. At the pubs, you can get a 75 (blend of 60/90) which is also very nice. I'd take Stone's Ruination (or IPA) over all of them, though.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 02-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Danny013
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Still searching for some 120 myself, but I love the 60 and 90.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
BeezBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, i appreciate the 120 for the effort and the boldness, but i could never imagine drinking another one.

God i miss Northwest brews.....

Old 02-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No, not at all. I liken it to hop flavored Vodka, and since I don't like liquor I won't be trying DFH120 again.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I must have had an old bottle as I didn't perceive any hop presence (bitter/flavor/aroma) in the one I had. Thus, way too sweet. I don't care for any of DFH's IPA offerings. I blame it on sub-par distribution here, though, as I had the same effect with the 60min IPA. Tasted more like a cream ale to me, with almost no hop presence in the product.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
I must have had an old bottle as I didn't perceive any hop presence (bitter/flavor/aroma) in the one I had. Thus, way too sweet. I don't care for any of DFH's IPA offerings. I blame it on sub-par distribution here, though, as I had the same effect with the 60min IPA. Tasted more like a cream ale to me, with almost no hop presence in the product.
I'm not too crazy about 60 or 90 either, but they're decent. 60 is the best of the lot. 90 is too sweet.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
steelerguy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
At least I had some hop presence in mine, but it was totally overwhelmed by sweetness.

I don't know if I would blame it on the distribution, I find the 60 min IPA to be more like an APA. The hops take a back seat, I thought, and that should not be the case in an IPA. I do like the 60 min, but just not as an IPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeezBrew View Post
Yeah, i appreciate the 120 for the effort and the boldness, but i could never imagine drinking another one.
Agreed, overall I am glad I tried one...but mainly just so I can say I have had it and have a real opinion about it. Certainly not because I thought it was worth $10 for 12 oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
The 120's not that good, IMO. Of the 3, the 60 is my favorite. At the pubs, you can get a 75 (blend of 60/90) which is also very nice. I'd take Stone's Ruination (or IPA) over all of them, though.
Oh yeah, I have gone to beer dinners with Stone and Dogfish Head. I just like the boldness of the Stone offerings better, but others I went with preferred the Dogfish Head. I think it is just a matter how much much of a hop head you are and if you like in your face beer.

I actually took a hydrometer reading of the 120 and got 1.032...you could make a mild with an OG like that!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I must have had an old bottle as I didn't perceive any hop presence (bitter/flavor/aroma) in the one I had. Thus, way too sweet. I don't care for any of DFH's IPA offerings. I blame it on sub-par distribution here, though, as I had the same effect with the 60min IPA.
The 120 and to a lesser extent the 90 are just like that if you get them on tap in a DFH pub. The 60's fairly hoppy.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Quick Reply