Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Does it matter who makes the beer you buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Tenchiro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Does it matter who makes the beer you buy?

Beer Examiner: Does it matter who makes the beer you buy?

This is an interesting poll on if it really matters who makes the beer you buy.

Quote:
Discussion continues about whether beer drinkers really care about where their beer comes from.
  • Does it really matter that Blue Moon is made by MillerCoors?
  • Does it matter that Pilsner Urquell is made by SABMiller?
  • Does it matter the beers like the following are owned by the Belgian/Brazilian global brewing corporation called Inbev:
    • German brewed Becks and Diebels Altbier,
    • Belgian brewed Hoegarden and Leffe,
    • English brewed Bass and Boddington,
    • Australian brewed Castlemaine XXXX,
    • Irish brewed Murphy's Stout
    • Canadian brewed Labatt,
    • and likely soon Budweiser?
As beer drinkers we all have our reasons for choosing the beer we love to enjoy. Whether we realize it or not, we all think about it in one way or another. At the very least we owe it to ourselves to be knowledgeable about the beer we spend good money to buy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It does matter a little. However, looking at that list, this has no bearing on my life whatsoever.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4375 Times on 3182 Posts
Likes Given: 850

You know, at the risk of sounding like a snob, it really does matter to me. Now, I know what I like, and Pilsner Urquell is a nice beer. But it also matters to me about ALL the things I buy. I don't shop Wal-mart (let's NOT start that- I know how you all feel), I don't buy Kraft's package foods with "corn syrup anything" added, and I don't buy fruits and vegetables from big companies, either. I don't buy ultra-pasteurized milk, etc. I don't buy meat from corn-fed cows. Those are choices I make as a consumer who pays for the items I do buy.

For someone like me, it makes sense to buy local craft items, from maple syrup that my friend makes to goat milk from a friend's farm. The same goes for beer. I WILL buy a Sierra Nevada beer, or a Sam Adams, but if I have a choice, I will always buy the most local and/or environmentally friendly choice. Still, I enjoy imports once in a while, and many of the wines I enjoy are imported.

If I'm faced with only big name beers while out, though, I will usually (but not always) make the choice to have one.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

It certainly matters to me, but it's been a long time (4-5 years) since I've had any of those beers.

I did have a Hamm's Light two years ago while I was helping a neighbor rustle some trees, but it was very hot and dusty.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Your list does not particularly impact me. My commercial beer dollars go to mostly to two companies which I believe are still family owned - Yuengling and Samuel Smiths. I guess I have a rock art in the fridge and I do buy Newcastle and long trail from time to time. But even if they have been swooped up, so long as the beer is still made correctly and tastes good, it's likely OK to buy. Contraiwise, if the company is bought and production methods change in ways that impact the quality of the beer, boycott city.

On the other hand, nothing in your list scares me much. Chinese beer on the other hand, well, you kinda have to expect that they'd find (or already have found) a way to incorporate melamine or other industrial waste into the stuff, given several years of recent history with food and China, with the latest round ongoing despite the "fixing" of things last time.

Food conglomerates are nothing new, nor are food conglomerates producing two products which give the appearance of competing - does anyone else remember when Beatrice uncloaked?

Re-filling the pipeline - got a lot of brewing to do.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #6
quixotic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Definitely. I'd rather support a company that treats it's employees well, and gives back to the local community.

A good example of this is New Belgian. After working for NB for a number of years (I can't remember the exact number), you get a free beer touring trip to Belgian with the company's founder for a week. They provide great health care and ownership in the company. They support social and environmental causes by providing grants. They power their brewery with solar panels and methane from spent grains.

I'd much rather support a company like that than one that only cares about the bottom line.

secondary:oatmeal stout
kegged: marzen
on tap: apfelwein
on tap: Northern Brewer/Vienna SMaSH
on deck: beer

Old 09-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It doesn't matter to me who makes it. If I like it, I like it. If I don't, I don't.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:22 AM   #8
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I should add that I really didn't have anything to do with the linked page, it just seemed on topic.

Although it doesn't really matter to me who makes the beer, I tend to naturally gravitate towards craftbrews, mainly because that is where the flavor lies.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:25 AM   #9
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm very much in the same line of thinking as Yooper- it does matter to me, and I will always support the small craft producers over the food/beverage conglomerates because that is my choice as a consumer. I want to know where my food comes from. I garden extensively during the summer months and shop farmer's markets and small groceries whenever I can. I don't support Walmart- never have.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:31 AM   #10
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Not at all. If Budweiser made an ale worth drinking, I'd drink it. Unless they're evil like the blood diamond people, I'll support their quality product with my money. As consumers we vote with our dollars. If we want them to make a better product, we shouldn't be too proud to buy it when they do.

Quick Reply