Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Do commercial breweries use dry yeast or liquid yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Do commercial breweries use dry yeast or liquid yeast?

I was wondering just out of curiosity

Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2008, 05:33 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 599 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Many save their yeast from batch to batch and re-pitch, so I guess that constitutes liquid. I visited one brew pub that used Fermentis dry yeast exclusively.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

The pros I know will use liquid yeast occasionally, but only when they are brewing a style that their house yeast can't handle. One does Belgians seasonally, so he buys a tube in the spring and cultures it until the late summer. Everything else, he ferments by re-pitching or building a starter from saved yeast.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Many save their yeast from batch to batch and re-pitch, so I guess that constitutes liquid. I visited one brew pub that used Fermentis dry yeast exclusively.
That's not 100% true. Typically there is a house strain that they keep but they usually cultivate it from their lab. Reusing yeast does occur, but you can mutate strains pretty fast if you don't keep close control on them.

A lot of the companies in San Diego use White Labs. It is a local yeast company with a good product. I know that Ballast Point uses Wyeast for some things too. The liquid yeasts are much more customized which provides for a more accurate representation of what they're looking for.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I know of one brewpub in the Detroit area that uses Wyyeast 1338 (Euro Ale Yeast) as their house strain.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
Sherpa FE
The < 1% Club

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There used to be a restaurant that had a microbrewery in it, and thier brewmasters would take a single smack pack and step it up to use in brewing a batch. I am not sure what size the brewing vats were, but I guess around 175-200 gallons. Talk about stressing the poor yeasties....
I wonder why they went under...oh maybe because the beer sucked.

Quick Reply