Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Craft brew in cans?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Bob_T
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Craft brew in cans?

Went to my local Binny's to get some assorted craft brews for Thanksgiving...
One of our favorites is Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale...approaching the shelf where they normally sit, all I saw was six packs of cans...

A helpful store associate informed me that the cans are all their distributor is now carrying...
He also told me that Avery is not the only one, that more and more of the craft beers are going to cans...

Frankly I didn't like it and I bought Smuttynose's brown ale instead.

I suspect this is a cost based decision? Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Canning is one of the best things that has happened to the craft brewing industry in the last few years.

You're about 30 years behind the times in forming your bias against canned micros....

We have a ton of threads discussing this, including this one of mine.

as well as- http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/cann...ghlight=canned and many more.

It's really a great thing, now you don't have to worry about your favorite beer being light struck and skunked, and you can take them to places where glass bottles are not allowed. I mean why can BMC be taken to the beach and our favorite stout or ipa can't because they're in glass and not cans.

These ain't your daddy's bud any more.

What happend was the minimum order for cans was dropped to a level that made it reasonable for microbreweries to start canning. Now the minimum order is IIRC 150,000 cans when before it used to be substanitally higher.

This is the company that has made it available to the smaller level craft brewer....

WELCOME TO CASK.COM

We've been talking about it on here for several years.

You'd really pass by all these phenomenal beers because they're in a can???

Unfounded bias is such a sad thing......

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Now they just need to make a canner cheap enough for us homebrewers! Oh, and let you order less cans as well. I would love to package my beer up in pint cans.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 11-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Now they just need to make a canner cheap enough for us homebrewers! Oh, and let you order less cans as well. I would love to package my beer up in pint cans.
The only thing about that is that cans are not reusable. If there were some way we could plug the openning, we could use them over. Otherwise they'd have to be really really really dirt cheap for the homebrewer to buy, like the cost of a packet of bottle caps...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Bob_T
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
We've been talking about it on here for several years.

You'd really pass by all these phenomenal beers because they're in a can???

Unfounded bias is such a sad thing......
OK...I guess I have been properly chastised... Apologies to one and all...

In spite of my age, (let's just say over 50), I am relatively new to the craft brew scene...
I always tried to go with bottles, even in my BMC drinking days...

Did ya ever have the tab on a beer can grab a mustache hair...ouch! that will make your eyes water...

Old 11-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_T View Post

Did ya ever have the tab on a beer can grab a mustache hair...ouch! that will make your eyes water...
Maybe you CAN teach an old dog, new tricks, no hai on back to the beer store and give some of those beers a try.

Oh and you shouldn't drink good beer out of cans or bottles, you need to let them breath. Drinking out of a glass shouldn't grab any stache hair.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I can't believe this is even a question anymore.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I melt all my aluminum cans into ingots so I don't waist the space when taking them to the recycler. Actually, I haven't taken my aluminum to a recycler in a while. I'm saving everything to cast into something artistic or usable.

I still buy bottles of BMC to drink from the container, but everything else I would rather have in a can to pour from. Bottles are still the way us homebrewers can package the easiest, but I do wish in my case I could get a cheap canner.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 11-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
Bob_T
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I can't believe this is even a question anymore.
Believe it!

And it WILL come up again...

Old 11-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 430

We are all entitled to an unreasonable bias or two... this is mine!

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Quick Reply