New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Costco-Beer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #11
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Were you part of the Dharma Initiative?
He is workman Mutilated1.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
MrFebtober
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bought asixer of Trader joes hefeweizen (can't recall the exact name) and it was the worst beer I've ever purchased. It was just painfully overcarbonated swill. Not a trace of wheat let alone weizen yeast flavor. more like bmc but the carbonation was so high it was undrinkable. I'm surprised to learn that Gordon Biersch supplies TJ's, hopefully the Costco beer will be better.

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Old 07-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Holy old thread bumping, batman....

I actually tried a few of the Trader Joes, Gordon Biersch beers a few weeks, back...I'll have to dig up my tasting notes...They were "OK" if I recall, nothing to either make you spit it out or to make you jump for joy...

I didn't try the hefe's, (not my thing) I chose the lagers (again not my thing, but I was curious.)

I think the only memoriable one was a mexican dark lager...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-23-2008, 05:20 PM   #14
Germey

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've always been underwhelmed by pretty much everything I've tasted from G.Biersch, but I am also a tightwad on a limited budget. I've been through a few packs of the Trader Joe's stuff and it's decent, but not exciting. I've only tried the Hopfest German Lager.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #15
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

SWMBO and I went to Gordon Biersch when we were in San Diego.....eh, it was 'OK' I REALLY wasn't that impressed.....the food was ok too I guess....

Old 07-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #16
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've often wondered why more grocery chains don't do this. They do it with snack foods (tortilla chips, potato chips, etc), so why not do it with beer?

Old 07-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #17
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Now a few of the mixed sixers were not G/b (At least I don't think so....I'll have to dig out my notes, I tried a couple of dark lagers that were fantastic)

I found the pics on my work data stick...maybe it will trigger memorys of the tastings.

Here's the 6 I got.

1) needs no intro....I never tried Stone IPA before. Fantastic!
2) Tj's Hoffbrau Dark,
3) BrouCzech Euro Dark Lager Nova Paka Brewery -Czech.
4) Tj's Dark Mexican Lager
5) Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale Federal Jack's Brewpub- Maine
6) Stockyard Oatmeal Stout Goose Island.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #18
stever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFebtober View Post
I bought asixer of Trader joes hefeweizen (can't recall the exact name) and it was the worst beer I've ever purchased. It was just painfully overcarbonated swill. Not a trace of wheat let alone weizen yeast flavor. more like bmc but the carbonation was so high it was undrinkable. I'm surprised to learn that Gordon Biersch supplies TJ's, hopefully the Costco beer will be better.
I just got through drinking a six of the hefeweizen and found it be quite good, nothing exception but for 5.99 a six it was a nice beer. Hints of bubblegum, clove and banana and not overly carbonated. I also had the dunkelweizen which was also tasty. I have had their double bock before and really enjoyed that. perhaps you got a sixpack that was not treated well on its journey.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but Great Cock man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
yeah, i've got big balls

Old 07-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #19
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo_Beer View Post
SWMBO and I went to Gordon Biersch when we were in San Diego.....eh, it was 'OK' I REALLY wasn't that impressed.....the food was ok too I guess....
I've had Biersch exactly once: at the D-terminal at Dulles International. Waiting for our flight to Paris. I needed a good beer before that long flight, and that was what it was: good beer. Nothing outstanding, but pretty good for D-terminal. I remember once I got stuck at the B-terminal waiting out a nasty storm, and got right nice on 2 or 3 Oak Barrel Stouts from Old Dominion...now THAT was the joint.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #20
MrFebtober
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever View Post
I just got through drinking a six of the hefeweizen and found it be quite good, nothing exception but for 5.99 a six it was a nice beer. Hints of bubblegum, clove and banana and not overly carbonated. I also had the dunkelweizen which was also tasty. I have had their double bock before and really enjoyed that. perhaps you got a sixpack that was not treated well on its journey.
i really think there must have been something wrong with the sixer I bought. it really was undrinkable without decanting into a glass...and then into another glass. Trying to drink from the longneck only resulted in a mouth full of foam. I'm also not possitive it was the hefeweizen, but it did have a similarly styled label like the Kennebunkport beer Revvy posted.

What results in bubblegum flavor? is it mostly just high fermentation temps? I think it's my least favorite tanin and definitely want to avoid it ending up in my beers. I once brewed a kolsch that tasted like sugar-free gum. I attributed that to ferm temps exceeding 70F, but not possitive that's the cause.

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Quick Reply