Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Coors Light - WOW!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Monk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Coors Light - WOW!

I'm trying to put down a mini-keg of Coors Light today so that I can use the keg for homebrew. So in the process I'm having my first CL in a few years. Wow! It's even more flavorless than I remember! I'm really, honestly, amazed. The fact that they can make water with an abv of 4.2% is truly astounding if you think about it. I'm not being sarcastic either. Huh.

Monk

P.S. if I have any other new revelations in the next few hours, I'll be sure to share them. Even if they are really inane and uninteresting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

What kind of mini-keg is it? 1/4 bbl? Are you just not going to return it to the distributor?

Old 11-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No, no. We're talking the VERY mini-keg. It's the little 5 L job they sell for parties or whatever. You can get them online from some of the homebrew supply stores for about 8 bucks. But if you can get them full, with no shipping/handling, for $10, why not empty it yourself, right? Plus, they work great for cask conditioned real ale. Cheers!

monk

Old 11-10-2006, 07:49 PM   #4
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk
No, no. We're talking the VERY mini-keg. It's the little 5 L job they sell for parties or whatever. You can get them online from some of the homebrew supply stores for about 8 bucks. But if you can get them full, with no shipping/handling, for $10, why not empty it yourself, right? Plus, they work great for cask conditioned real ale. Cheers!

monk

Link please! I would like to have one of those!

Old 11-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Oh, fair enough - I'd like to see it, too!

Old 11-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
Kevin K

Recipes 

Old 11-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay my friends, here you are:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/mini-kegs.html

It's the product a little ways down the page under "mini-keg systems". For me, I don't use the phil's tap equipment. I just use the mini-keg itself, as this is all you need for cask conditioned real ale. You dispense by gravity, which allows for the lower carbonation and soft mouthfeel you get from a hand pulled cask ale. It's "live", like almost all homebrew, but must be consumed within 1-3 days of tapping. These kegs have a relief valve on top and a spigot on bottom. I don't know how to use the ones that only have a top tap (ie Heineken). For these, you empty it. Then sanitize and fill with 1-2 Tablespoons of corn or cane sugar, and a little over 1 gallon homebrew (leave ~1 inch room in the keg). Allow it to condition and tap it. The top valve and the spigot are reusable.
The only caveat I'll add is this: if you don't have a corny keg system and are looking for a low cost alternative, I don't recommend this as your solution. This is going to pour a pint like a cask, not a keg. In other words, it will seem to be too low in the way of carbonation if you're looking for american style higher carbed ale. Just get the corny system and don't waste your money. On the other hand, if you enjoy cask conditioned ale or just want to try it out, buy a cheap lager in a minikeg and empty it. Refill with a bitter or brown ale and try her out.

monk

Old 11-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk
The fact that they can make water with an abv of 4.2% is truly astounding if you think about it. I'm not being sarcastic either. Huh.
Lots of adjuncts. Probably rice.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Advice: If you get the mini-keg #7812, you can get the pressure relief bung #7818 and not have to buy a tap w/CO2 cartridges.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #10
Monk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, thought on Coors light:

Your pee ends up with an SRM of about 2. This should be quantifiable evidence enough that Coor light almost doesn't exist. It's like an essence added to water. I think they just add one drop of "essence of cheap lager" to one barrel of water. Again, completely astounding. I'm gonna go eat some lentils.

Monk

Quick Reply