Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Which commercial pumpkin beers actually contain pumpkin?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
Tenchiro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Which commercial pumpkin beers actually contain pumpkin?

Most of them seem to contain just the pumpkin spices and some of the ones I had which say they are made with pumpkin seem to lack the body I was expecting.

Any recommendations for a good commercial pumpkin brew that I can sample before trying to create my own?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Night Owl Pumpkin from Elysian Brewing in Seattle.

It may soon be more widely available since they just inked a deal with New Belgium Brewing that will have New Belgium brewing select Elysian beers and Elysian brewing some of New Belgium's brands.

Rumor has it that New Belgium recently brewed 600 barrels of Night Owl Pumpkin for Elysian.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
oberon567
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Southern Tier Imperial PumKing Ale. (Uses puree). Astoundingly delicious. There is a thread talking about this right now.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Tenchiro

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cool thanks for the info, I will look for both of those.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale was decent a couple years ago when I had it. I'm sure you already know this but stay away from Buffalo Bills Pumpkin Ale. One of the worst beers I've ever had.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:11 AM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtopia View Post
Night Owl Pumpkin from Elysian Brewing in Seattle.

It may soon be more widely available since they just inked a deal with New Belgium Brewing that will have New Belgium brewing select Elysian beers and Elysian brewing some of New Belgium's brands.

Rumor has it that New Belgium recently brewed 600 barrels of Night Owl Pumpkin for Elysian.
That is cool. Maybe we'll see a better selection of NB beers around the Pac NW.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #7
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lakefront Pumpkin lager uses real pumpkin.....

Lakefront Brewery - Pumpkin

Old 09-08-2008, 01:26 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Beer Info's top 10 pumpkin beers all contain pumpkin

IIRC, I've only had one of them on the list, the O'fallon, and it is amazing.

Punkin' Ale - Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. Perfect to warm-up with, as the season cools. Food Pairing recommendations: Turkey, roasted duck, lamb, stuffing, dessert dumplings. 7% abv. 24 ibu.

Wild Goose Pumpkin Patch Ale - Wild Goose Brewery
Wild Goose Pumpkin Patch Ale is slow-brewed with 9 special malts, 100% British Fuggle hops, nearly 300 pounds of pumpkin, and a secret blend of spices. Deep orange and amber in color, rich malt flavors and a subtle spiciness this beer is Wildly aromatic and bold.

Ichabod Ale - New Holland Brewing Company
Ichabod combines malted barley and real pumpkin with cinnamon and nutmeg in a delicious and inviting brew.
Ichabod pairs well with autumnal foods such as poultry and root vegetables. After dinner, try it with your favorite dessert. 4.7% abv.

Post Road Pumpkin Ale - Brooklyn Brewery
The smell had aromas of malt and spices. The taste had a full malt body, a medium hop profile, and a bit of pumpkin flavor. Also present, especially towards the aftertaste were many spices. Detected at least cinnamon and nutmeg, and perhaps some ginger as well.

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale - Saint Louis Brewery
A full-bodied, deep reddish amber beer made with pumpkin and butternut squash and spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon. Celebrate the bounty of harvest with this rich, malty ale and invoke the season of plenty.

Saranac Pumpkin Ale - Matt Brewing Company
Saranac Pumpkin Ale is brewed with Pumpkin, Cinnamon, Allspice, Cloves, Ginger and Vanilla. Look for a full-body and amber color. We're sure you'll enjoy this special brew! 5.4% ABV. Malts: Maris Otter, Wheat. Hops: Cascade Hops.

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery
A seasonal favorite made only in autumn, as it's brewed with fresh-roasted pumpkins, and accented with cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.

Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale - Coors Brewing Company
Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale is a clear amber color, well-carbonated, and produces a creamy head. The complex estery aromas are due no doubt to the yeast strain used. This medium-bodied brew offers a full mouth-feel along with an overall malty flavor with just hints of any pumpkin in its ingredient list.

Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.
Butterscotch was present in the aroma and very noticeable in the taste. Some nice pumpkin is also present but in a very creamy way. Kind of a mixture of Cool Whip and pumpkin paste. Not a lot of spice is present but sweet malt is. A bit of toffee and vanilla come to mind.

O'Fallon Pumpkin Ale - O'Fallon Brewery
Liquefied home-made pumpkin pie! There are cinnamon sticks and halloween candy flavors too. Mulled cider minus the apples. Sort of like mulled pumpkin cider! The caramel malt really provides a nice base for the graham-cracker crust and pumpkin pie filling flavors.

The links to the breweries are on the original article http://www.beerinfo.com/index.php/pa...pkinbeers.html

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
FatMonsters
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Saranac Pumpkin Ale - Matt Brewing Company
Pumpkinhead Ale - Shipyard Brewing Co.
These are the only two I have had from that list. I'd say Shipyard's is much better! I was NH last year, wife and I tried it. I'm not much of a pumpkin ale lover, but Shipyard's I liked!

Old 09-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Pumpkin in a can doesnt even contain pumpkin.

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Quick Reply