*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Commercial Favs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
brauhaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Commercial Favs

I recently was involved in a discussion about beer (commercial beer) and I got to thinking about some favorites and some dislikes of mine...

To the dismay of some of my "All-American Beer" loving friends, I will immediately pass by the following beers:

• Budweiser
  • Keystone
  • Pabst Blue Ribbon
  • "Natty Ice"
  • Miller
  • Michelob
  • Corona
  • Yuengling
  • Generally Most "Name Brands" turn me off

However, there are a few beers that i'll consider and have found to be appealing to me:
  • Sam Adams Seasonal (Winter Lager, Octoberfest, Summer Ale... and the other one i forget)
  • Stella Artois (can be found on occasion in the fridge, but really not a stable in my house)
  • Blue Moon

Then there are a few local beers I like:
  • DogFish Head Shelter Ale (a tad on the bitter side for me)
  • Independence Ale (Phila. Independence Brew Pub)
  • Amish Ale (Lancaster Brewing Co.)

Are there any recommendations on any local brews I should explore? I'm looking for a good malty beer with a tad sweeter taste than bitter...

Please share your favs (commercial and local)

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Check out Flying Fish - they're out of Cherry Hill, they make some fine brews. You can probably also get Troegs out of Harrisburg - they make some awesome beers as well.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 12-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
jmiracle

Recipes 

I think you can get Bell's most places, they have a lot of good brews. I'll be making a pilgrimage to the Bell's Brewery soon (I'm about an hour and a half away). I'm a big fan of their Best Brown Ale, Porter, Pale Ale, and Double Cream Stout. A lot of people seem to like the Two-Hearted Ale, I haven't tried that one. Oberon is OK from them.

As for commercial beers, I still like most Leinenkugel even though the quality has dropped over the last few years it seems like. Their Red and HoneyWeiss are quite drinkable if not really exciting. I'd stay away from the Sunset Wheat.

Bottled & carbing: Nothin
drinking: Poet on Payday Wee Heavy
gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Old 12-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

there are a few commercial beers I like. Umm....Heineken,Rolling Rock,Becks,Guiness,Sleemans...

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 12-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can probably get Great Lakes brews in PA. If so I'd recommend Dortmunder Gold (dortmunder), Edmund Fitzgerald (robust porter) and Eliot Ness (amber lager).

Old 12-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiracle
I think you can get Bell's most places, they have a lot of good brews.
I think Bells might be in PA but it's not "officially" distributed in Maryland. Bell's actually has a rather small (13 states on the easy coast, I think) region.

I was extremely lucky to find a store in Virginia that keeps it in stock so I picked up a few 6ers.

Two-Hearted Ale is probably NOT what the OP wants, it's got a very strong floral aroma and decent hop bitterness where as he wants malty/sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraeHaus
Are there any recommendations on any local brews I should explore? I'm looking for a good malty beer with a tad sweeter taste than bitter...
I can't think of any local brews off the top of my head. In fact, my advice would perhaps be the opposite, given your tastes and criteria here. Try some imported brews. Even the "mild" American beers tend to be hoppier than their overseas counterparts.

Some of my personal favourites in the "not too hoppy" category are Wychwood's Hobgoblin, McEwans's Scottish Ale.

If you do want to stay on this side of the pond, something like a Kolsh or a Hefeweizen might be more your style. I just finished some Magic Hat Circus Boy hefe this week.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 12-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
derogg
Recipes 

I just tried a Thai beer, Singha. Tasted like an Oktoberfest beer...malty. - Dirk

Bier frisch und gut, schafft frohen Mut.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Plenty of local brews to sample in Central/Southern PA -

Appalachian Brewing
Troegs
Lancaster Brewing Co - the 4-Grain Amish you mentioned is solid
Stoudts
Weyerbacher

They all bottle and you can buy their stuff in LanCounty.

Try Union Barrel works, Iron Hill, Selinsgrove Brewing, Allentown/Bethlehem Beerworks, etc. also... Although these places don't bottle so you need to make a trip to their pubs...

Can't gauge how wide your beer pallet is from the few beers you named - in fact all the Micros you mentioned (Shelter Pale, Amish 4-Grain, and Independence) were Pale Ales if I'm not mistaken... Most American Pale Ales are going to be somewhat more hoppy than sweet.

Do you like other styles? Porters? Stoudts? Ambers? Weizens? I'm guessing IPA's are out if Shelter Pale is too bitter for your liking...

There are plenty of GREAT local beers near you, just start trying them... Me naming my favs, might not work out for you. For example, I *love* the Appalachian Hoppy Trails IPA, but you probably would not...

Currently Consuming (HB): Apfelwein on Tap Troegs Hopback on Tap; Craft Bottles
Fermenting/Conditioning: Up Next: Hop Trio American Wheat, Lake Walk Pale Ale
In Planning Stage: Farmhouse Saison and Something Oaked.

Last edited by RoaringBrewer; 12-17-2007 at 06:01 PM.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #9
APendejo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I drank a 6er of Pabst Genuine Draft on Sunday while brewing up a batch of American Brown Ale. I ain't no beer snob. The Pabst just makes me appreciate what I have to look forward to when the ABA is done.
AP

Old 12-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #10
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
Plenty of local brews to sample in Central/Southern PA -

Appalachian Brewing
Troegs
Lancaster Brewing Co - the 4-Grain Amish you mentioned is solid
Stoudts
Weyerbacher

They all bottle and you can buy their stuff in LanCounty.

Try Union Barrel works, Iron Hill, Selinsgrove Brewing, Allentown/Bethlehem Beerworks, etc. also... Although these places don't bottle so you need to make a trip to their pubs...

Can't gauge how wide your beer pallet is from the few beers you named - in fact all the Micros you mentioned (Shelter Pale, Amish 4-Grain, and Independence) were Pale Ales if I'm not mistaken... Most American Pale Ales are going to be somewhat more hoppy than sweet.

Do you like other styles? Porters? Stoudts? Ambers? Weizens? I'm guessing IPA's are out if Shelter Pale is too bitter for your liking...

There are plenty of GREAT local beers near you, just start trying them... Me naming my favs, might not work out for you. For example, I *love* the Appalachian Hoppy Trails IPA, but you probably would not...
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the hoppiness of some beers, in fact I really love the Amish Ale and Independence Ale, the Shelter Ale was a tad more hoppy than I like, but it was very satisfying

I've just become fascinated with malty/sweet beers, but don't know where to begin.

I'll be swinging by the local "Brewers Outlet" to pick up a case of beer for the holidays since my beer won't be done in time and I really want to get a good malty beer to share for the holiday...

I was going to pick up a Variety Pack, but I decided to just get one good malty beer.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Quick Reply