Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Commercial examples of Sour Beers???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
SmokinJohn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Commercial examples of Sour Beers???

Not that I ever run out of good new beers (gotta love Portland), I am interested in trying my hand at enjoy a Sour Beer. I have tried a couple at beerfests, and have not had a great experience, but my palate has changed considerably since then. I now appreciate just about every style that I have tried, and spend a considerable amount of time getting to know each style. Sour beers are somewhat intimidating though, and I would like a little direction on where to start. I see that there are Brett mixed beers, is that a good place to start? Maybe not the full force sourness to begin? I dunno, I am adventurous, but I don't want to be immediately turned off either.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 05:24 AM   #2
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Portland, OR? Cascade Brewing in Raleigh Hills specializes in Sour Beers. They have a few on tap and they sell some really tasty ones by the bottle. Maybe if you went there and had some tasters it would be a nice intro. Lucky Lab also has a sour beer called 5 Words that is often on tap at the NW location.

For commercial beers in the bottle, Dogfish Head Festina Peche, New Belgium La Folie, and Duchesse De Bourgogne are a great start to trying a variety of sours. The festina peche is not very sour , it is a Berliner-Weisse, while the other two are quite sour.

All of these bottles are available at Belmont Station. You just missed Puckerfest, which is a sour beer festival that they host.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

http://www.jollypumpkin.com/

Jolly Pumpkin in Dexter, MI makes some outstanding sour brews. While I'm not particularly a fan of sour beers I can appreciate the creativity that they put into their beers. I can handle a sour occasionally but it's not really something I would drink on a regular basis.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

ORVAL, seriously the first sour beer that everyone should try. Its a good intoduction to the style.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:38 AM   #5
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Duchesse de Bourgogne is IMO the best intro to sour beers in the fact that it is balanced by being very sweet while sour. Rodenbach and Rodenbach Grand Cru if you can find it are outstanding. Any gueuze will be a treat. Orval is relatively tame on the sourness, don't don't chill that beer down. Welcome to the most complex beers out there.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Flanders Reds are my favorite. Jolly Pumpkin makes a fantastic one, Duchess is good but highly variable, de Proef makes one which seems to be relatively tame. Liefmans Kriek is outstanding for a kriek beer, it has a great balance between tart cherry and sourness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Boulevard, in Kansas City makes one. I tried it last week when I took a tour. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of it. I may have had a few too many samples.

Keg 1: Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 2: Honey Jalapeno Saison

Old 08-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Really? Nobody has mentioned Russian River? Or Cantillon?

-Russian River makes the best sours in the country. Temptation just came out a couple of weeks ago. It is 25-30 dollars for a 750ml, but it is right on when it comes to a sour. Also, it seems Consecration is out still. Again, same price considerations, but if you're a person who likes red wine, this beer would probably blow you away. I know I miss it when I can't get it.
-Cantillon really should speak for itself. Classic gueuze, Iris, and if you can find the Lou Pepe framboise, you'd be in for a treat.
-If you're going to try Cascade first, I would go with Cuvee du Jongleur. Their kriek is kind of off, and their framboise is nothing to write home about.
-New Belgium's La Folie is an awesome choice, and is in bottles and might be readily available still.
-Rodenbach Grand Cru is good, but it seems this years batch is a bit more acetic than before.
-I'm not a huge Lindemann's fan, but the Cuvee Renee is a great starter sour. I don't drink their fruit beers, but this one is reasonably priced and has a lot of character.
-Petrus Aged Pale is a great accessible beer without a lot of sour, but enough to make it refreshing and nice to drink.
-If you can find a friend with a good stash, they might still have some of the Dissident from Deschutes. Pretty good and won't kill your pocketbook, and it is not overdone.
-Duchesse is ok, but I think too sweet and won't give you the proper impression of what a good sour can be.
-I don't think of Orval as being a sour, nor half of the JP beers. They're tart, but not fully sour. They have more brett characteristic in them, but I don't see them as being true sour beer. That said, Orval and JP are some of my favorite beers in the world, and you should try both if you haven't.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #9
talenos
Recipes 

The Bruery is down in the OC and makes a great selection of commercial sour beers. You might be able to find that in Portland.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:38 AM   #10
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm drinking Victorys Wild Devil right now. It is their hop devil fermented with 100% Brett. YUMMY!!!!

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Quick Reply