Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Commercial beers that let you down?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #81
bnmir
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Just finished an Avery Kaiser imperial oktoberfest. Carb was low, very thick and cloyingly sweet. I was disappointed and have never had a bad specialty avery before.

Fast Dogs Brooing

Hex23 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #82
tom_gamer
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmir
Just finished an Avery Kaiser imperial oktoberfest. Carb was low, very thick and cloyingly sweet. I was disappointed and have never had a bad specialty avery before.
I was thinking of picking that up today, I guess I'm glad I got a 60 min IPA instead

Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #83
jsberry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I like the mainstream Sierra Nevada products, but their more unusual ones are pretty weak. Ruthless Rye, and the "Beer Camp" floral IPA and Otameal Stout, were all just kind of weak-bodied and tasteless to me.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #84
Getzinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeoftheUS View Post
Festina Peche is what vaulted the significant other back into beer drinking so I can't hate on it even if its not my taste. DFH calls it a neo-berliner weiss, in reality it taste like a highly carbed fruit syrup soda to me.

I brew berliner's sans fruit and buy lambics for the Saturday/Sunday soccer/football events in place of buying wine. I was surprised by the number of woman who said they didn't like beer, but drink both of the aformentioned in copious amounts. I was even more surpised by the number of men who "only" drink stouts and imperial ipa's fall back to the berliner weiss when they think no one is looking.

In terms of underwhlemed beers, I'd also have to add Elysian Night Owl on tap this year. One of my favorite pumpkin beers but I always get bottles. Had it on tap on Sunday and was sadly underwhlemed. Taste was harsh and had some bitter notes at the end, similar to when spices are added to the boil and not the whirlpool or primary.
Well hey, I'm glad that there is at least someone who likes the Festina. I don't know, but that fermented peach flavor is just not friendly on the palate.

Also I generally am quicker to blame the place I'm drinking the beer from if the tap doesn't taste good. One of our local bars does Yings and Wings on tuesdays, and their Yeungling is just not up to par. Still, $2 so I drink it anyway.

My spoon is TOO big.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #85
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmir View Post
Last year's was excellent. Just tapped the BYO version I brewed back in the spring....kick arse. I'm not even going to bother making my usual Oktoberfest brew next year and just make this.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #86
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Green Flash West Coast IPA (1st time, seemed stale and weak on hop aroma. Will give it another go.)
Firestone Walker DBA (Have had before many times and loved...last one was not the same)
Widmer Okto Festival (I just don't think I care for this one at all)
Heretic Shallow Grave (Didn't live up to the hype, but good)
Russian River Damnation (Ditto)
21A Back in Black (Seemed too dry and thin. I know BIPA's are supposed to be dry, but this was too extreme imo)

Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers. -Peart

Next Brew: SWMBO's choice. Probably Saison.
Primary: Janet's Brown, Mulled Chamomile Cider/Perry
Secondary: Nada
Bottle Conditioning: Nada
Bottled and Ready: Hop in the Dark, Raison Detre, Hoppy Saison

Old 10-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #87
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Magic hat hasnt impressed me.

Fat tire was okay.

Ommegang i think is pretty awful in general, but thats my own opinion.

Had an abita vanilla double something or another and it sucked.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #88
hoops_hops
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Rogue dead guy. Everyone I talked to love it. I just thought it tasted like stale burnt cedar.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #89
drainbamage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis View Post
Magic hat hasnt impressed me.

Fat tire was okay.

Ommegang i think is pretty awful in general, but thats my own opinion.

Had an abita vanilla double something or another and it sucked.
Magic Hat was exactly what I had in mind coming into this thread. #9 was one of those beers I had heard people rave about for the longest time, but upon trying it, I couldn't stand. I don't like the tangy, sour aftertaste contributed by the apricots, and the mouthfeel seems too syrupy for a pale ale. I thought maybe I just had a pint from a dirty tap line at first, but the couple times I've given it a chance since then haven't been any better. I give them credit for what they're doing, it just doesn't do it for me.

Fat Tire is decent, but maybe a little overrated. I'd classify it with stuff like Shiner Bock and S.A. Boston Lager as "gateway beers" for people starting to get into craft beer.

You bite your tongue about Ommegang though!

Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #90
mbauer013
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I got to through all the 21 A beers I have had into this thread, Watermelon Wheat, Back in Black and Bitter American. Maybe its the fact that I used to listen to the brewing network alot (before they pretty much just started interviewing commercial breweries) and they always talked it up. When we finally got it in my area I bought every variety and gave it a go. Really was impressed with anything I tried especially at 10 bucks a six pack.

Quick Reply