Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Commercial beers that let you down?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #71
PosterGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Ommegang Abbey Ale

I had very high hopes when I brought home a bottle of this beer today.
Boy was I disappointed.
About the only thing remotely Belgian about this beer was the bottle format.
Maybe it's the cumin (something I would reserve exclusively for cooking).
Reminiscent of an English bitter gone terribly awry.
I'm a bit sad because I really like what these folks are doing up there, but they won't be around long brewing beer like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 04:22 AM   #72
edgeoftheUS
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Lagunitas Little Sumpin Wild - On tap in Portland at a place across from Rogue - Slightly soured, hints of acetobacter with a cough syrup viscosity. Difficult to finish but each drink I kept telling myself it can't be this bad. I had Lagunitas Czech Pils bottle recently and their IPA on tap at Tenaya Creek in Las Vegas a while back, both of which I enjoyed. This brew not so much.

Schlafly Pilsner - On tap in Kansas City. Cant say it was a disspointment b/c I had never heard of the brewery before, and had been drinking Boulevard all week so I wanted to mix it up, but this pour was the worst beer I've ever consumed. If benzene and diacetyl somehow made their way into my glass, I wouldn't have been surprised. Maybe they pitched some stressed yeast into a nearby fracking resevoir....

Reason: spelling

Old 09-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #73
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2688 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeoftheUS
Lagunitas Little Sumpin Wild - On tap in Portland at a place across from Rogue -
They messed up this last batch. I've had it before and it was excellent. This last batch was just short of nasty. Belgo by New Belgium is the best example of the Belgian IPA I can find lately. It's damn good.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #74
edgeoftheUS
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
They messed up this last batch. I've had it before and it was excellent. This last batch was just short of nasty. Belgo by New Belgium is the best example of the Belgian IPA I can find lately. It's damn good.
Interesting, maybe ill give it another shot if I see it next year. Haven't had Belgo by NB, can't say I've seen it in the far NW either.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #75
Getzinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'm surprised at the frequency of seeing DFH on here, but maybe that's just my DE pride. I like a lot of their stuff, and the fruity beers are actually pretty damn good for what they are (Raison D'etre, Punkin, Aprihop). By far the worst DFH I've ever had was Festina Pesche. Peach beer, as my buddy described it: "Vomit."

Also, I'm rather underwhelmed overall by Magic Hat. #9 is drinkable, but nothing else I find noteworthy.

My spoon is TOO big.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #76
edgeoftheUS
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzinator View Post
By far the worst DFH I've ever had was Festina Pesche. Peach beer, as my buddy described it: "Vomit."
Festina Peche is what vaulted the significant other back into beer drinking so I can't hate on it even if its not my taste. DFH calls it a neo-berliner weiss, in reality it taste like a highly carbed fruit syrup soda to me.

I brew berliner's sans fruit and buy lambics for the Saturday/Sunday soccer/football events in place of buying wine. I was surprised by the number of woman who said they didn't like beer, but drink both of the aformentioned in copious amounts. I was even more surpised by the number of men who "only" drink stouts and imperial ipa's fall back to the berliner weiss when they think no one is looking.

In terms of underwhlemed beers, I'd also have to add Elysian Night Owl on tap this year. One of my favorite pumpkin beers but I always get bottles. Had it on tap on Sunday and was sadly underwhlemed. Taste was harsh and had some bitter notes at the end, similar to when spices are added to the boil and not the whirlpool or primary.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #77
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2688 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 339

My wife will hardly ever drink beer but she's a sucker for those horridly sweet blended fruit lambics.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #78
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterGuy View Post
I had very high hopes when I brought home a bottle of this beer today.
Boy was I disappointed.
About the only thing remotely Belgian about this beer was the bottle format.
Maybe it's the cumin (something I would reserve exclusively for cooking).
Reminiscent of an English bitter gone terribly awry.
I'm a bit sad because I really like what these folks are doing up there, but they won't be around long brewing beer like this.
They've been around for a long time and that beer is universally loved. Just goes to show that not everyone has the same tastes.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #79
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
They've been around for a long time and that beer is universally loved. Just goes to show that not everyone has the same tastes.

May have been old - I have had many (ok, too many) of these - got a bad one a month ago and couldn't get the second swallow past the molars...

Just had a fresh one yesterday - big Belgian goodness.

Just something else to toss out there - I love IPA's but be careful of the order in which you drink these! My latest IPA tasted like dirty carpet after a Port Mongo (awesome, BTW). The next day, my IPA magically tasted great again.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:58 AM   #80
+HopSpunge+
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts

I quit buying 6packs from consumers beverage (our brew store in bufahole), because they are old and oxadized 1/2 the time. Got sick of bringing them back and the slack jawed kid workin the counter thinking i'm trying to scam him or something. Alot of the six packs don't have dates on thier packaging. Now I just fill a growler everytime. It's a limited selection however. I need a full barrel system so I do not run out of fresh homebrew damit :guzzle:

Quick Reply