Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Commercial beers that let you down?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #41
bigbopper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

budweiser,definatly not the KING of beers.i thuoght pliny definatly lived up to the hype.so many flavors in that hop bomb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #42
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Sam Adams has been letting me down across the board. I don't know if we are getting the contract brewed stuff but whatever it is the quality has taken a nosedive the past couple years.

There is some brewery in Las Vegas or near Vegas T...something creek. Some people rave about the beers, I found them extremely watery and bland. Maybe it's better fresh or whatever but I was disappointed by them.
Thomas Creek? I dont think thats vegas but if thats what your talking about i agree.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #43
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 411 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbopper View Post
budweiser,definatly not the KING of beers.i thuoght pliny definatly lived up to the hype.so many flavors in that hop bomb
Agreed about the pliny but im thinking Avery majarhja is the king of imperial ipa's (maybe) Not in the same bracket although they are both double or imperial ipa's.Just not a fair specific style to compare them.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #44
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

One of our local breweries Shipyard surprised me. They're no gold standard, but usually decent.
I've been on a cider kick lately, and enjoyed a bunch with out disappointment, the woodchuck crisp, Sam Smith's Organic, Angry Orchard Dry, etc...

So I saw Shipyard's Applehead and thought "Yummy! Why not?" I was expecting something sort of like Brandon's Graff, what I got was just foul. I mean atrocious, I couldn't believe they drank this and thought "Winning, let's inflict this on the world!"

The problem is they're pushing the hell out of it around here and the stores are jammed packed full of the stuff, and it's displacing things that actually taste good.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #45
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts

Almost anything from Lagunitas except Hop Stoopid. I don't understand the rave reviews they get. Same for Flying Dog. Everything I've had from them has either been boring or off.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #46
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypo
Almost anything from Lagunitas except Hop Stoopid. I don't understand the rave reviews they get. Same for Flying Dog. Everything I've had from them has either been boring or off.
Have you had Lil Sumpin Sumpin? That stuff is a staple in my beer fridge...
Old 03-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #47
nymtber
Recipes 

Sam Adams Boston Lager. GROSS. Same with their Summer Ale. YUCK!

Drinking a Noble Pils. Not as good as I remember last year's, but I have drank a lot better beer in that year time...

I will say, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has yet to disappoint me! It is always good and goes down far too easily Although my homebrew NB Sierra Madre is close enough, and quite a bit cheaper. I also find that Saranac is consistant, and good for the money craft beer. Not the best, but if nothing else good is available, Saranac is a very safe bet around here

Old 03-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #48
exhumedatbirth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0ug View Post
One of our local breweries Shipyard surprised me. So I saw Shipyard's Applehead and thought "Yummy! Why not?" I was expecting something sort of like Brandon's Graff, what I got was just foul. I mean atrocious, I couldn't believe they drank this and thought "Winning, let's inflict this on the world!"

I keep seeing Applehead at the store, and keep wondering if it would be worth trying..thanks for saving my hard earned cash.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #49
duffbeer71
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainMugs View Post
DFH 120 min.
Yeah, was hoping for more. Maybe after aging some for a while it will taste better.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #50
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Mighty Oak from Sam Adams really disappointed me. I was hoping for something better from a sampler referring to itself as a "Brewer's Choice." The Whitewater was also a bit of a letdown.

Quick Reply