The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Budweiser waters down its beer, lawsuit alleges

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
kpr121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default Budweiser waters down its beer, lawsuit alleges

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/budw...eges-1C8566405

Anyone seen this? Seems like this would be a fairly simple claim to test.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I just read that also and jumped on here to see what's up! What a litigation nation. I have empirical evidence from my bladder during college research that I'll withold because of the insanity that AB drinkers actually thought they were drinking beer. It's a Widely known fact that AB flavors all their water with barley.

....just add water.....

Old 02-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

I'm not an AB fan, but I'm not sure I buy this lawsuit. Although the beer that AB makes isn't good (in my opinion) they are very consistent. I'm pretty sure that this "watering down" of the beer is part of their process - they actually brew the beer at a high ABV and water it down at bottling so that they get more beer per unit volume of their brew house. So, for example, they brew 8% bud light but dilute it down to 4% at bottling.

I guess we'll see when/if AB provides more information.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 818 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 109

have no idea what the label on the bottle/can/keg says the ABV is, but if it's different than what's inside, then the lawsuit has merit

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2612 Times on 1692 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgagne
I'm not an AB fan, but I'm not sure I buy this lawsuit. Although the beer that AB makes isn't good (in my opinion) they are very consistent. I'm pretty sure that this "watering down" of the beer is part of their process - they actually brew the beer at a high ABV and water it down at bottling so that they get more beer per unit volume of their brew house. So, for example, they brew 8% bud light but dilute it down to 4% at bottling.

I guess we'll see when/if AB provides more information.
I remember hearing something like that before. I think it's part of their process and they just water it down to their target ABV before packaging and whoever is making this claim against them doesn't understand the process.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
kpr121
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
have no idea what the label on the bottle/can/keg says the ABV is, but if it's different than what's inside, then the lawsuit has merit
Exactly. And if that was the case, you would think it would have been reported in the news article.

"In a telephone interview with The Associated Press, Boxer said he has evidence to corroborate the former employees' allegations, but stopped short of saying the beers had been independently tested."

Maybe this story is just in it's infancy so they dont have all the details. Or maybe they are gathering samples to do a full scale widespread testing from as many brewing locations as possible.

Heck for 35 bucks you can have White Labs test it for you:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...-kit-plus.html

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 02-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
kpr121
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
I remember hearing something like that before. I think it's part of their process and they just water it down to their target ABV before packaging and whoever is making this claim against them doesn't understand the process.
I dont think this is the case. The article specifically mentions the fact that the ABV is not what is reported on the packaging. So they are saying that the beer is 3.5 or whatever, when the label says its 4%.

Its well known that the big brewers make their beer at a higher proof and add water at packaging. Fermentor space is at a premium, especially when you have such demand for your product.

Hey some of us homebrewers do the same thing honestly! I’ve fermented a 4 gallon batch in a corny and then added a gallon during the transfer to new keg. My motive was that it kept the krausen/blowoff under control.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:

Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 818 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
I dont think this is the case. The article specifically mentions the fact that the ABV is not what is reported on the packaging. So they are saying that the beer is 3.5 or whatever, when the label says its 4%.
this is, as I said, the key to the case

I wouldn't give a rat's rectum if they bottled water and sold it, as long as the label says 0.0% ABV

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
old-pasture-brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hey hey hey. Kpr121 how did that 4gal corny fermentation work out? Is there a thread on this. I got two kegs with stripped posts that I can't bare see become planters.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-pasture-brew
Hey hey hey. Kpr121 how did that 4gal corny fermentation work out? Is there a thread on this. I got two kegs with stripped posts that I can't bare see become planters.
I am currently fermenting 2 lagers in corny kegs right now. PM me if you want details

Quick Reply