Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Budweiser American Ale - with Taste notes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #21
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy White View Post
Hopefully this will end up helping the BMC drinkers along to where they will venture out to craft brewed beers and increase the market for them.
This may have the opposite effect that AB is expecting. It lures the Bud drinker to try an ale. Once they are in ale territory, they will be looking at craft beers more and more. Then never look back.

AB would be smarter to have their own micro-brewery chain that has a variety of their craft beers and sells good food. Think Rock Bottom & Granite City..... throw in a sport bar theme. $$$$

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #22
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
This may have the opposite effect that AB is expecting. It lures the Bud drinker to try an ale. Once they are in ale territory, they will be looking at craft beers more and more. Then never look back.

AB would be smarter to have their own micro-brewery chain that has a variety of their craft beers and sells good food. Think Rock Bottom & Granite City..... throw in a sport bar theme. $$$$
I agree with that. I think it'll pull people away from Bud. Especially once they figure out what a REAL AMERICAN ALE tastes like. Damnit, it seems lik i'm always three words away from another BMC rant!

What's tappening? :D

Old 08-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #23
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post

It's funny that you mention this as I just heard Michelob commercial (which is obviously an A-B company) state they are "Crafting a better beer". When I went to their website, I found that Michelob is making a porter, bavarian wheat, british pale ale, European style lager, and a munich malt Marzen.

This could be what A-B is trying to do with Michelob. Make them the craft brewer of A-B and bring drinkers into the A-B family.

I had no idea Michelob made any of these beers. Tis interesting.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 08-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #24
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Very good point!

I wonder if we'll be able to drag a few of them over to "our" side of then fence....You're right, we may have a "gateway" beer to convert the masses with.
You know what would be cool? Since "nostalgia beers" Like PBR and now Schlitz are being released, if some of the macros blow the dust off their old Ale recipes, they bought the rights to.

Maybe someone will revive Ballantine's and Ballantine's IPA!!!

That would rock.
Don't tease like that. I can only dream about that beer
When DFH does a replica of Barton Ale, you know it must have been great. Aged 10+ years on oak.
I would love to have tried one

Old 08-17-2008, 01:34 AM   #25
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
...since you know it is going to be in everybar in the country (probably knocking out the 1 craft beer that a bar might have on tap.)
Dude, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking as I started my way through this thread. Back in the early 90's my then girlfriend (now SWMBO) used to frequent a downtown restaurant for happy hour on Friday after work. This was before micros were common, but they had Whitbred Ale on tap of all things. At the time, that was a pretty exotic offering for these parts. One Black Friday we went down there and the Whitbred was gone, replaced by the brand new Bud Ice.

The place closed about six months later. I'd like to think it was Karma.
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 08-17-2008, 03:57 AM   #26
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I could see the handwriting on the wall the other day when I went into a Thriftway in Oregon to buy some beer. Everything - EVERYTHING - visible on display was a local craft brew. If you wanted a BMC, you had to go into the walk-in freezer to to get it.

I'm interested, and I think it will give momentum to the movement toward better beers, so good for them. I do not imagine it will put even a single craft brewer out of business.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #27
Danny013
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Hey, I actually think this is kind of cool and am looking forward to trying it out when it in September when it becomes available. I am expecting a 'watered down' version of a true ale, but hey, that is what they are going for. If anything it'll be a halfway decent beer to grab when nothing else is available out in bars/restaurants. Pics show a nice dark red body, thick head, and they are talking about multiple hop additions (including dry hopping) for a light hoppiness and some specialty malts for a good maltyness and some gentle toasted flavors. Could be interesting.

I don't get all the hatred for BMC anyway. Sure, the light stuff is nasty and watered down but hell, if someone likes it who cares. IMO, the 'regular' stuff like Budweiser isn't half bad. Everyone talks about BMC having no flavor but when something comes out that could possibly be halfway decent, no one is still happy. Not trying to start some flames, just some observations. I say hold off on judgement until it comes out. It's beer! And beer is awesome!

A buddy and I split an ice cold bucket of Bud at the ale house last night watching the olympics and it wasn't bad at all, even somewhat enjoyable I daresay. That's not to say it can compare to a great all malt beer but whatever, there is a time and place for everything (especially when pints of 'good' beers are ~$5 a pop, $15 a pitcher).

Old 08-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #28
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I saw the new TV ad for it last night. I got the impression that they were trying to tell us that they have just invented a new style of beer. The colour and head looked like they were trying to keep it looking at least a little similar to what people would expect to see from a regular Bud so as not to scare anyone off. Colour was on the pale side and the head was, as they say, "rocky" with little evidence of a good lacing. It just looked like a cheap bottled ale to me. It's not that those characteristics are wrong necessarily, it's just that you can see exactly what they are doing regarding not straying too far from thier trademark style. My only real objection to all of this is that it will be "somewhat" more expensive than a regular bud. That seems to indicate that many people will be paying way too much when there is better beer available at a similar price, but without the branding they will follow blindly......But what do I care what the sheep do, I have my home brew.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #29
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I could see the handwriting on the wall the other day when I went into a Thriftway in Oregon to buy some beer. Everything - EVERYTHING - visible on display was a local craft brew. If you wanted a BMC, you had to go into the walk-in freezer to to get it.

I'm interested, and I think it will give momentum to the movement toward better beers, so good for them. I do not imagine it will put even a single craft brewer out of business.
I think you've hit it right on the head...at least for me, and most people I know. I love a SN Pale Ale, but it's got to be at least a month since I've had one...even though that is pretty much the default beverage around here. Rather, I'll opt for a seasonal from Sierra Nevada (like Anniversary, Cele, etc.), or pick something up I've never had before. I want variety, and I'm not interested in drinking the same beer all the time. I find that a lot of friends and family are the same way: at BBQs and parties, I notice that people rarely bring the same thing they brought to the last party.

The only exception to the rule here is the Corona/BMC drinkers...which seems that is the only beer they will ever buy. I don't think that they would even try the Bud American Ale, since they've already found their silver bullet. I haven't tasted the new Bud Ale yet, but I imagine it will be like the Michelob "craft" styles...uninteresting but not horrible. We'll see when some BMC partygoer brings some Bud Ale to my house.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 08-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #30
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

WOW - reading the comments surprises me and makes me AGAIN - glad I gave this forum money.

You guys are being freaking adults about this.

I was anticipating a ton of rants and whining about Budweiser American Ale taking over but what I read is adults talking about a new product and what it really does for the industry and craft movement.

Well done!!!!

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Quick Reply