Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Budweiser American Ale - with Taste notes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Default Budweiser American Ale - with Taste notes

Let's see if they can get this one right

Budweiser American Ale rolls out next month: An interview with the brewer
By William Brand
Monday, July 28th, 2008 at 7:00 pm in Bud, Craft Beer, General.

Budweiser American Ale: 5.2 percent, 25-28 IBUs, mild taste.

Budweiser, America?s Ale.?

Hey?here?s a sodden thought (to copy the late, lamented Herb Caen, the San Francisco Chronicle columnist)?could this ale coming from Anheuser-Busch in September truly become America?s ale, just like Bass Pale Ale or Courage Directors in the UK, a mild, amber companion to Budweiser, the American Lager?

Just got off the phone a short time ago with Eric Beck, the A-B staff brewmaster in charge of the project. Bare bones: The beer?s an amber ale, 5.2 percent ABV. IBUs (International Bitterness Units) 25 to 28. It?s made with two row pale barley and caramel malt. Bittering hops are Palisade, aroma hops spicy Saaz and Willamettes and piney, citrusy Cascades. It?s also dry hopped with Cascades. Every ingredient is American. No foreign ingredients.
It?s going to be released nationally in kegs on Sept. 15 and in bottles on Sept. 29. A national advertising campaign begins the last week of the Olympics, A-B says.

Why Budweiser, the American ale? ?Marketing did a bunch of research,? Beck says. ?Obviously craft beer has been doing phenomenally well. But there seems to be a gap as far as a national brand. There are a number of regionals, but no truly national ale,? he says.

Hmm. I actually think that Sierra Nevada Pale Ale may already have the title. It?s become ubiquitous in the damnedest places, like Omaha Nebraska and Chicago. However, Sierra Nevada still doesn?t sell in the millions of barrels, does it. And of course, even Sierra Nevada, the number two craft brewer after Sam Adams, doesn?t begin to have the advertising clout of A-B. And we all know that advertising sells Budweiser, so why not Budweiser American Ale.

What does the beer taste like? Don?t know. ?This is not an IPA,? Beck says. ?People who are die-hard craft beer drinkers may not prefer it. We?ve produced something that is more mild; it?s not loaded with hops. It?s an easy drinkable beer,? Beck says.

They brewed the beer with a variety of different ale yeasts before choosing a winner, he adds. With ales, compared to lager strains, an ale yeast is more important in the beer. A-B didn?t want a ton of esters, the component of ales that taste like ripe fruit. They also didn?t want a yeast the produce an overly sweet beer, Beck says. Budweiser American Ale?s been in development for a long time, Beck adds. In trials, the beer was brewed with seven different hops in various combinations.

Initially, it will be brewed in St. Louis and at the A-B plant in Fort Collins, Colo.

And what about the influence of InBev, which has won agreement from the A-B board to buy the company. That?s management, Beck says. He?s a brewer. Got a hunch that brewers will still be welcome at the merged company.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That is a horribly written article. I am betting the product mentioned will be about as good.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This could be interesting. I have wondered why lagers are so abundant in the American market.

I would give a try. Can't be worse than an infected batch, could it??

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 08-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

So, they're making an ale, but deliberately going light on the hops... and deliberately choosing a yeast that won't have a lot of character... and they don't want it to have any sweetness....

Aren't they just brewing a non-lagered... well, a non-lagered Budweiser?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
So, they're making an ale, but deliberately going light on the hops... and deliberately choosing a yeast that won't have a lot of character... and they don't want it to have any sweetness....

Close, but Bud is what 10-12 Ibu's tops. So they doubled the bitterness and if just a hint of the dryhopped Cascades comes through it might be just enough to get some beer novice to go from there to SNPA and beyond.
I'll give it a try but I don't expect much, that way I won't be disappointed

Old 08-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Slappy White
Recipes 

This seems to be a step in the right direction. But let me taste it first.

"Good people drink good beer." -Hunter S. Thompson
Apfelwein and beer...

Old 08-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Happy View Post
This could be interesting. I have wondered why lagers are so abundant in the American market.
I wrote up some info about that here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...gle#post790628 The book I got the info from is mentioned in the post as well, it's a history of the brewing industry in america...and the rise of AB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post

Sounds like it, and you know it will be as highly hyped as it will be lightly hopped...Hey I think I came up with their new slogan...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy White View Post
This seems to be a step in the right direction. But let me taste it first.
It isn't a step in the right direction though. It is an attempt to try to regain market share lost to the craft brewers. Michelob Light craft beer is a good example of stuff that never should have happened. They're pissed that the little guys are taking their market.

there's enough room for both markets and it sucks that they're trying to dumb down beer for the masses. Hopefully people who are already buying good craft beer won't be fooled by this. I think most of us are smart enough.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks revvy. I just have a bit of beer angst in this small town. There is a "bottle" shop, but limited in selection. The grocery stores carry the usual BMC and other lagers. VERY few ales.

That info helped to make some sense. I figured the Americans back then rejected ales since they were more popular in England and Europe.

Learned something new, now it's time to go home

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 08-15-2008, 03:21 AM   #10
Slappy White
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
It isn't a step in the right direction though. It is an attempt to try to regain market share lost to the craft brewers. Michelob Light craft beer is a good example of stuff that never should have happened. They're pissed that the little guys are taking their market.

there's enough room for both markets and it sucks that they're trying to dumb down beer for the masses. Hopefully people who are already buying good craft beer won't be fooled by this. I think most of us are smart enough.
Very true. I stand corrected. Was just thinking that it would be nice if good beer would be the norm, instead of the piss water. But what they are going to come up with is just an ale version of it. I'm sure that many craft brew drinkers will try it out but will go back to the real craft brews quickly. Hopefully this will end up helping the BMC drinkers along to where they will venture out to craft brewed beers and increase the market for them.

"Good people drink good beer." -Hunter S. Thompson
Apfelwein and beer...

Quick Reply