Budweiser American Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Have you guys seen the commercials for this? I was watching the election coverage on MSNBC yesterday and the ad came up. At first I thought "Oh yeah, Budweiser Select, yippie," but it went on to talk about how the beer is brand new, flavored with Cascades, etc etc. It looks like it might actually be worth buying a six pack, just to see what the deal is.

Is it in stores yet? More importantly, has anyone tried it? Cost? Are the bottles twist off or pop?

I think 5 or 6$ for 6. POP tops..amazing.
as for the taste..just another american ale with little hop flavor or aroma(they claim dry hopped)..

spend the money on something else IMO

J

they're pop off. the beer may smell good when you open it but the beer sucks. i mean making an american ale is one of the easiest beers to make but somehow budweiser messed it up. it has a completely bland taste. no bitter hop taste, no sweetness from the malt, not complex at all. save your money and get some sierra nevada.

Where have you been? That stuff has been around forever (a few months anyway). It's great for Budweiser but sub-par when compared to most micro's. Don't waste your money IMO.

I don't mind it. Reminds me of the first Amber beer my friend brewed up.

You have to remember who Budweiser's customers are. They have a large market and are going to come up with a beer that will best appease all of them. Give them something new to try and like but still maintain a fresh beer that's not super malty or hoppy. They won't try something too drastic or far from their past brews.

I don't think it's that bad, much better than any other Bud label. They have it in bars (and applebees), so try one out and see for yourself. Or get a six-pack and at the very least, you have some decent bottles.

I'm gonna be running down to the distributor in a few days, because I need a case of bottles for my next brew. If the American Ale is the cheapest by a fair margin, I'll pick it up. But if something even semi decent like SNPA is in the ballpark, I'll grab that instead. It's really all about the bottles, but I'm not going to get something sub standard just to save five bucks.

Here, the Bud American Ale costs about $6.50-7 depending on where you go. Right now the local liquor store has a sale on.....12pk of SNPA for $13 (reg. $15). I want to try the Bud, but I'll wait, however long it may be, for someone to give me one for free, seeing as SNPA is about the same price and undoubtedly better. Plus, I love those fat bottles.

I was sort of ambivalent on the American Ale; not too bitter, very little body. Tasted like a hoppy Yuengling lager to me, actually. You could do worse, but at $7 for the sixer, I'd skip it.

The bottles, though, are very nice, if that's what you're interested in. They seem extra thick.

The bottles, though, are very nice, if that's what you're interested in. They seem extra thick.

I dig the bottles too. They have a nice shape to them. If the stuff was dirt cheap I'd buy it for the bottles and let my BMC drinking friends have the beer.

i mean making an american ale is one of the easiest beers to make but somehow budweiser messed it up. it has a completely bland taste. no bitter hop taste, no sweetness from the malt, not complex at all. save your money and get some sierra nevada.

Second. I asked a bartender about it and he let me sample it for free. I was less than impressed and ordered a Bell's Two Hearted Ale instead. It was very bland, no descernable hop flavor/aroma, and little malt profile. Big old meh.

Second. I asked a bartender about it and he let me sample it for free. I was less than impressed and ordered a Bell's Two Hearted Ale instead. It was very bland, no descernable hop flavor/aroma, and little malt profile. Big old meh.

As with most beers, the Bud Ale is a totally different beer at 50*F than it is at cooler temperatures. Pleasantly surprised with it. It's a decent Amber. It's not an APA so the hop isn't going to rip your head off. Good gateway beer for BMC drinkers.

when i tried my first bottle i thought it wasn't bad since it was something different, but after my second one I lost interest in it.

that beer is terrible, it has a same taste that bud and bud light have, F@$% BMC

Too much caramel/crystal flavor for my taste. Especially as it warms.

Michelob also released their Pale Ale. Maybe it's just late to get to OKC but it's actually decent for a Macro. Sure there are LOTS of better examples but, not in my corner store at 10:00 on Sunday.

The impression I got from American Ale is a beer that while quite uninspired and unexciting, can be used for something other than chugging. It doesn't make me want to scream at people who drink it and say it tastes good.

Honestly, I think it could be be bad for their business in the long road. Rednecks and retards could realize there are beers that don't involve the word "light", look like pee, or taste like rotting corn water. When that day comes, the day of the microbrewer is upon us.

The impression I got from American Ale is a beer that while quite uninspired and unexciting, can be used for something other than chugging. It doesn't make me want to scream at people who drink it and say it tastes good.

Honestly, I think it could be be bad for their business in the long road. Rednecks and retards could realize there are beers that don't involve the word "light", look like pee, or taste like rotting corn water. When that day comes, the day of the microbrewer is upon us.

Hopefully that happens soon.

At first I didn't mind it so much, seemed rather bland. Then I got this awful astringent aftertaste.

I've asked a few others and most of them experienced the odd aftertaste as well.

The bottles seem nifty...I'll have to decide whether or not I want to pull the trigger when I'm at the distributor tonight...

Rednecks and retards could realize there are beers that don't involve the word "light", look like pee, or taste like rotting corn water.

lmao.gif

LMAO. This could definitely prove to be a gateway brew.

Dumping it out? Come on, I wouldn't even dump out a normal Bud unless something was wrong with it. I think some of the responses here are kind of funny. They remind me of beeradvocate ratings. "NOT ENOUGH HOPS SO ITS ATROCIOUS". It's an American ale, not an APA. Also, you have to realize that not everyone is a big hop fan. I love good beer, but I'd rather drink a stout or porter than an IPA, especially if I'm going to be having more than 2 or so. The thought of something at 100+ IBU makes me want to vomit, which incidentally, would probably be less acidic. Seriously though, it's a decent attempt on AB's part. Apparently some peopled expected them to pull something like Ruination out of a magic hat.

Dumping it out? Come on, I wouldn't even dump out a normal Bud unless something was wrong with it.

I would, in a heartbeat. I wouldn't drink that piss if it was the last beer on earth.

I think some of the responses here are kind of funny. They remind me of beeradvocate ratings. "NOT ENOUGH HOPS SO ITS ATROCIOUS". It's an American ale, not an APA. Also, you have to realize that not everyone is a big hop fan.

Most of the people on this board are hop fans, which explains why the responses on this board are the way they are. Most homebrewers have high standards when it comes to beer so don't be so surprised by the negative reviews. If your looking for kind words about Budweiser go to a NASCAR message board.

I love good beer, but I'd rather drink a stout or porter than an IPA, especially if I'm going to be having more than 2 or so. The thought of something at 100+ IBU makes me want to vomit, which incidentally, would probably be less acidic. Seriously though, it's a decent attempt on AB's part. Apparently some peopled expected them to pull something like Ruination out of a magic hat.

100+ IBU's makes you want to vomit? That's blasphemy! No one expected Ruination, but everyone expects a brewery with the state-of-the-art facilities, highly trained and experienced brewmasters, and access to the best ingredients in the world to come up with something better than this. But then no one should be surprised when a brewery that caters to people with mullets and wheels on their houses produces an ale this boring and one dimensional.

If your looking for kind words about Budweiser go to a NASCAR message board.
I'm not looking for "kind words" about them per se, I just think it's a little funny that everyone is jumping on a proverbial bandwagon. Drinking that beer and b*tching about it not being hoppy enough is like drinking a hefe and saying it isn't roasty enough.

But then no one should be surprised when a brewery that caters to people with mullets and wheels on their houses produces an ale this boring and one dimensional.
That was exactly my point.

Looks like this one's inspired some healthy banter. I did end up buying it, for any interested parties.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was about $32 a case, while Saranac IPA was around $25. The American Ale was $22, so I took the plunge. I've written a review of it here, but overall I'd say it's a thoroughly B-ish beer. Really much better than a lot of people let on, but certainly not in the same league as Smuttynose, Rogue, etc. An excellent choice for BBQs, parties, etc (assuming, of course, that you don't have your own brew on hand).

Ultimately, I bought it for the bottles, and am glad I did because they're quite cool. If I was having some type of gathering I'd definitely consider picking it up again.

I picked up a 6-er tonight at wal-mart for $5.84. What a total letdown.

Its got that "sharp-full-of-adjuncts-and-straight-from-a-can" american lager taste that regular Budweiser has, even if its technically brewed as an ale.

I detect no hop aroma, there is no malty sweetness whatsoever that I would expect from an American Pale or Amber and very little body which makes me suggest a fair amount of corn or rice, and I'm seriously doubting very much Cascades hops went into this, I just can't pick up on them at all.

Seriously, a Michelob Shock Top has more Cascade flavor than this does.

So its basically a slightly darker Budweiser with slightly more hop bitterness. It lacks any kind of character, distinct hop profile, or body I would expect. I would have spent my 6 bucks more wisely on a 6-pack of Michelob All-Malt Porter or even Killians Red than this. I would drink my old standby Yuengling over this stuff.

*update* Okay the second one wasn't so bad once the disapointment set in. Its more drinkable than regular Bud, but still has that annoying "sharp" taste to it that makes it seem like a reaally cheap beer.

I really don't think its that terrible. I'd say it's on about the same level as Yuengling. I, personally, don't much care for Yuengling (some type of funk in there I'm not down with), and would choose the AA over Yuengling if the choice had to be made. But really, with all the fantastic beers out there that can be had for about $10 more a case, I wouldn't be buying this again unless strapped for cash. The primary reason I got it was for the bottles, and in that sense it's a winner because the design is pretty cool.

How can you compare AA to Yuengling? I do not think they taste anything alike.

I agree, they taste nothing alike. Yuengling has a funk to it that I just can't get down with. But overall I'd say the two beers are about the same quality, everything considered. Yuengling is about a step or so up from standard BMC, and that's about where I'd place American Ale.

In short, it's not a great beer by any stretch of the imagination. But by the same token it's not the piss a lot of folks make it out to be.

Dumping it out? Come on, I wouldn't even dump out a normal Bud unless something was wrong with it. I think some of the responses here are kind of funny. They remind me of beeradvocate ratings. "NOT ENOUGH HOPS SO ITS ATROCIOUS". It's an American ale, not an APA. Also, you have to realize that not everyone is a big hop fan. I love good beer, but I'd rather drink a stout or porter than an IPA, especially if I'm going to be having more than 2 or so. The thought of something at 100+ IBU makes me want to vomit, which incidentally, would probably be less acidic. Seriously though, it's a decent attempt on AB's part. Apparently some peopled expected them to pull something like Ruination out of a magic hat.

I don't care how much hops it has, I love all different styles of beer. This one just happens to taste like crap.

Back