*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2006, 03:20 AM   #1
Ivan Lendl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

tried this for the first time tonite, its a russian imperial/winter edition beer.

first impression was Whoa-i dont think ill finish this. Im not a big beer fan, and this beer is HUGE, like 9 percent. Aroma is liquirice, mollasses and chocolate. Body is thick and greasy. Taste is sweet, kind of coying, and moderatelty bitter. At first it was very alcoholic tasting but after warming it mellowed. Definitley a sipping beer. Cabonation is low and i cant smell any hops, just liquirice (cant spell liquirice)
aftertaste is sticky and roasty, like a guinness hopped up on goof-balls...

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 03:54 AM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Damn...I LOVE that stuff.

I bought 2 sixers a while back and I have 5 bottles left...I sneak one every once in a while. Really good for those mornings after I get off a long night shift--one of those and I sleep like a baby all day.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I could drink this one year round...

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I'll have to keep an eye out for this one. I've generally been pretty enthusiastic about the IS's I've tried. But you're right, IL, they're not a session pint pounding beer...more like a replacement for a few glasses of wine or a hard drink.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
I'll have to keep an eye out for this one. I've generally been pretty enthusiastic about the IS's I've tried. But you're right, IL, they're not a session pint pounding beer...more like a replacement for a few glasses of wine or a hard drink.
Good luck finding it--I think it is a winter seasonal. Some of those are getting scarce nowadays.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-15-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I never had this before, but I want to try it really, really bad. I've read The Brewmaster's Table, written by the guy who makes this, and it sounds intriguing. Apparently, they don't sparge with this brew and have to mash three times in order to get the amount of wort they need. The brewer attributes that, and a crap load of chocolate malt, for the strong chocolate taste they have attained without adding chocolate to the beer.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Good luck finding it--I think it is a winter seasonal. Some of those are getting scarce nowadays.
That's the beauty (sometimes) of living in a small town relatively close to a large one. The local grocery will buy seasonal beers that nobody in their right mind would buy because they're not BMC, and they'll wind up practically giving them away at some point. Probably not this particular beer, but I've scored a few others like that. I thought the 12-pack of Harpoon Winter Warmer I got last year for $4 was better this year after the spices had mellowed out

Quick Reply