Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Breckenridge Double Hopped IPA (471 Small Batch)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 12:44 AM   #1
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default Breckenridge Double Hopped IPA (471 Small Batch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breckenridge Brewery
IT COMES DOWN TO THIS. WE LOVE MAKING BEER. And while our mainline beers keep us very busy, there are times we get antsy to brew something different. That's where the 471 Small Batch comes in. Special ales that originate in our brewmaster's head and then become reality. On occasion, an ale will get enough attention that we bottle a batch. So keep an eye out for them. Oh lordy, this is fun.
Well, it's not fun for me. I bought this for an upcoming "brew swap," and I still might send a bottle just to get a second opinion, but it should've stayed in the brewmaster's imagination.

Appearance
Golden and clear with a 2-finger head. Very nice presentation, bottle, pour, and all.

Aroma
Is this a DOUBLE IPA? Really? It has a clean aroma, very faint hops if any, and something...strange...that I can't quite put my finger on...something...kinda like leftover Mexican food.

Flavor
Unremarkable up front - BMC-ish. Bitter as it washes across the tongue. Icky metallic aftertaste. There is definitely hop bitterness present, but there is no real hop flavor at all. Conceals its 9.2% ABV well, but I don't really care that much since the flavor is...weird.

Mouthfeel
Nice. Well carbonated, medium to full bodied. I wish the velvety texture was accompanied by good flavor and aroma.

Drinkability
I'm about to dump it. The buzz I'll get from the high ABV isn't worth it. It really doesn't taste good. Bad, Breckenridge. Very bad, Breckenridge. 10 lashes with a wet noodle, and next time, brew a GOOD beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Jekster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I honestly wasn't impressed by this brew either. For a double IPA it didn't have the hop backbone I expect. It had a ton of malt character and almost a cloying sweetness to my pallet. I have tried some much better double IPA's in my time from Founders, A local Brew Pub in Indy, and Three Floyde's to name a few.

In the Works:

Old 12-06-2007, 01:56 AM   #3
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Crazy, I think the 471 is the best IPA I have ever had. I absolutely love that beer.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:57 AM   #4
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 7 Posts

Do you know how old the bottle was? I thought it was ok in the bottle, agreed though, a bit sweet. It is much better on tap, so I think freshness could be partially an issue.

Primary:
--
Next Up: Bock
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand (Done), Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Old 12-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have had this brew several different times and I find it a pretty decent, but not great DIPA. I think I know where you are coming from with the metallic thing..I always found a slight off-note in the flavor that seems like a recipe that just doesn't totally jive, like it needs a subtle tweak to really come together.

Course, with excellent DIPAs out there like Pliny, Hopslam, Hercules, Hop 15, Ruination, ect..out there, there's some stiff competition.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
cpz28
Recipes 

I bought a six pack of this stuff had a bottle thought it was great. SWMBO had one and my uncle had one the consensus was great. Since then I've drank 2 more from the six pack and they aren't that good. They look kind of cloudy in the glass and they barley even taste like IPA unlike the first one I drank. 1/2 bad batch maybe?

Old 12-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Hmm...I will crack another tonight to see if it was a bad bottle. I'm guessing it's more like a bad batch. It wasn't skunked, so storage wasn't the issue (unless it got hot...which could've happened).

Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 AM   #8
mikeyc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Well, it's not fun for me. I bought this for an upcoming "brew swap," and I still might send a bottle just to get a second opinion, but it should've stayed in the brewmaster's imagination.

Appearance
Golden and clear with a 2-finger head. Very nice presentation, bottle, pour, and all.

Aroma
Is this a DOUBLE IPA? Really? It has a clean aroma, very faint hops if any, and something...strange...that I can't quite put my finger on...something...kinda like leftover Mexican food.

Flavor
Unremarkable up front - BMC-ish. Bitter as it washes across the tongue. Icky metallic aftertaste. There is definitely hop bitterness present, but there is no real hop flavor at all. Conceals its 9.2% ABV well, but I don't really care that much since the flavor is...weird.

Mouthfeel
Nice. Well carbonated, medium to full bodied. I wish the velvety texture was accompanied by good flavor and aroma.

Drinkability
I'm about to dump it. The buzz I'll get from the high ABV isn't worth it. It really doesn't taste good. Bad, Breckenridge. Very bad, Breckenridge. 10 lashes with a wet noodle, and next time, brew a GOOD beer!

You almost hit my impressions head on. I guess its just my personal taste. When I hear IPA, I think HOPPY, with a distinct bitterness. Even with the 9.2 ABV, it was definately not worth drinking. I poured it out. Didnt like this one at all.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
knarfks
Recipes 

I split a 22oz with a friend, we both poured it out. Not good.

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: Dry Mead
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, apfelwein, craplwein, Orange Blossom Mead, Two heart clone
Kegged: Apfelwein...wedding cleared out 3 kegs

Old 04-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
NachoJones
Recipes 

Maybe the recipe has changed since 2007. My buddies and I liked it. Had some two nights ago. The alcohol and hops were both present. Not as "bitey" as alot of other DIPA's out there. The description is still the same as far as appearance. But the taste was really good. And I like good hoppy IPA's (Hop Devil, Dogfish Torpedo, Leviathan, Levitation, Lagunita's Hop Stoopid, Great Lakes Burning River, etc,..). Try it again.

Quick Reply