Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder Come to Texas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
San_Diego_Matt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I've never had either of these beers from the bottle. We're lucky to have pliny on tap nearly all the time at my local and the pig is around quite a bit from the tap too.

I'll have to source some bottles and see how they differ from the on tap stuff

Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #12
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Well, I hate to be that guy, but I am.

I ordered a couple Plineys and Blind pigs at great personal expense, along with a 750 of Damnation and Stone Vertical epic. I have to say, of all the beers I got, Pliney was the least impressive.

I had the Blind Pigs, and was completely blown away. I think I sniffed it as much as I drank it, it was so floral and hop forward without being overly bitter or resinous. I thought to myself, "well, if Blind Pig is this good, Pliney is going to make me finish."

I don't know if it was just an old bottle, the first batch on a new system, transporting problems, or what, but the Pliney just didn't do it for me. The aroma wasn't there, the mouthfeel was big but the bitterness didn't cut through it like it should. I will give it all the chances in the world, but I'm not paying as much as I did to have it shipped all the way out here. The Blind Pigs however, I will go in to bankruptcy for.

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 11-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_and_Katie View Post
I've never had either of these beers from the bottle. We're lucky to have pliny on tap nearly all the time at my local and the pig is around quite a bit from the tap too.

I'll have to source some bottles and see how they differ from the on tap stuff
Which bar do y ou call home?

Old 11-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #14
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRLynch View Post
Well, I hate to be that guy, but I am.

I ordered a couple Plineys and Blind pigs at great personal expense, along with a 750 of Damnation and Stone Vertical epic. I have to say, of all the beers I got, Pliney was the least impressive.

I had the Blind Pigs, and was completely blown away. I think I sniffed it as much as I drank it, it was so floral and hop forward without being overly bitter or resinous. I thought to myself, "well, if Blind Pig is this good, Pliney is going to make me finish."

I don't know if it was just an old bottle, the first batch on a new system, transporting problems, or what, but the Pliney just didn't do it for me. The aroma wasn't there, the mouthfeel was big but the bitterness didn't cut through it like it should. I will give it all the chances in the world, but I'm not paying as much as I did to have it shipped all the way out here. The Blind Pigs however, I will go in to bankruptcy for.
I feel bad for you if that's the Pliny experience you had. It really is wonderful.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #15
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I feel bad for you if that's the Pliny experience you had. It really is wonderful.
Aye...I've not had the bottled version but I always find the draft version damn near the perfect beer.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

I don't think I'll ever have a bottle of it. The cost of a bottle is the same as a pint and it is always on tap, so whatever.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #17
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I need to move...

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Quick Reply