Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Best liquor store vintage beer find?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Best liquor store vintage beer find?

I was in central MO recently and was amazed to find a 4-pack of Flying Dog's Gonzo from 2007, back when they were still made in Denver. It had aged well and was the best pack of Gonzo I've had.

Has anyone else found good old beers at liquor stores, and if so, what was your best find?

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
I was in central MO recently and was amazed to find a 4-pack of Flying Dog's Gonzo from 2007, back when they were still made in Denver. It had aged well and was the best pack of Gonzo I've had.

Has anyone else found good old beers at liquor stores, and if so, what was your best find?

Last year I found some 2006 founders Kentucky breakfast stout at a jerky shop down the road from shorts brewpub. Old label and all it was fantastic.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
kevin9167
Recipes 

Goose Island Imperial IPA in the discount cart. Marked down from $20 to $10. I got it when it was already 2.5 years old. I think I drank the last at 4 years. It was surprisingly good. Sure it probably didn't have the hop aroma it once did, but it had a great malt flavor with good bitterness and hop flavor.

It was worth the $10.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

found a 2 year old DFH Black and Blue in a college mini mart style beer and wine store. He felt bad because it was so old and gave me 50% off.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Found two cases of Bell's Batch 5000 stashed in the wine cellar of a local bottle shop. At the time it was a couple of years old so I bought a sixer. The first two bottles were amazing. Not sure what happened but the rest were phenol bombs. Maybe smoked beers just fall apart with time?

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 03-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Found two cases of Bell's Batch 5000 stashed in the wine cellar of a local bottle shop. At the time it was a couple of years old so I bought a sixer. The first two bottles were amazing. Not sure what happened but the rest were phenol bombs. Maybe rauchbiers just fall apart with time?

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 03-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
cercueil
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

3 years ago I bought La Trappe Quadrupel that came in a box. To my surprise there was a small glass at the bottom of the box. The even better surprise was when I looked at the bottom of the glass and it had 2000 etched into it! It was 8 years old and tasted great. The carbonation was very low but that was the only thing that was different in 8 years.

Up Next
Oaked IPA?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A LHBS by me has a few bottles of O'Hanlons Royal Oak that are over 2 years old. This is my favorite British ale, and age does it well. Just wish I could find a place that has it fresh as well....

Old 03-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #9
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

not too long ago, found some bottles of stone 07-07-07 and 08-08-08 at a local wine store stowed away in the fridge the whole time. Promptly bought the last two bottles of each, drank one of each and put one away with the rest of the vertical. All for $6.99 each!

Quick Reply