Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Best CraftBrew close to the National Mall (DC)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
MasonCreek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Best CraftBrew close to the National Mall (DC)

Planning a visit with the family this weekend to Washington DC. Where is a good brewpub or place to go for a craftbrew that is close to the national mall? I have tried to Google some help, but came up empty. Looking for any help, please feel free to chime in. Thanks in advance.

(Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place. Just seemed like the best location for it.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Here's the DCBeer.com "find good beer" map.

http://batchgeo.com/map/1a11ffcf565e...5d1232781f21b1

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
MasonCreek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
Here's the DCBeer.com "find good beer" map.

http://batchgeo.com/map/1a11ffcf565e...5d1232781f21b1
Awesome, thanks. Exactaly what I was after.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
shead
Recipes 

I was just there in the middle of May and did a lot of research into where to find good beer. Here's what I found.

Close to the Metro stations:
The Big Hunt - Really close to the Dupont Circle Metro station (across the street). Has a good draft selection, almost zero bottles. Kind of a dive bar.

Pizzeria Paradiso - About a 2-3 minute walk from Dupont Circle Metro station. Good pizza and a nice selection of draft and bottled beer. Pretty good Belgian selection.

Bier Baron - A little farther from Dupont Circle. Maybe 10-15 minute walk. Huge bottle selection (Only place I found Great Divide beers). 15 or so draft selections. I went twice and had a great bartender the first time and a sub-par one the second.

Connecticut Avenue Liquor - Awesome Liquor/Beer store about 3 minutes from Dupont Circle. Big selection of bottles. DFH, Surly, Ballast Point and many others. Good Belgian selection as well. Really nice people too. Went there twice and he remembered me and was quite knowledgable.

Farther from Metro Stations:
These ones are probably 15-30 minute walks from the closest Metro.

The Black Squirrel - This place was awesome! 2 or 3 levels. 15-20 taps on each level plus a few bottles. I had Widmer, Brewdog, Ithaca and Southern Tier here. Nice and helpful bartenders as well.

Churckey - If you've looked for beer in DC I'm sure you've found this place. It's pretty sweet. Around 30 beers on tap and like 500 in bottles. Great selection. To be honest, the atmosphere is a little pretentious (as are the bartenders), but it's not that big a deal. They have 4 oz (ish) pours of all draft beers too which is awesome! That way you can try a lot more of the draft selections without getting demolished.

One other suggestion for bottles to buy would be Whole Foods. I found Allagash Confluence (SOOOOOO awesome) and Weyerbacher Double Simcoe there (among other tasty choices).

Hope this helps. There is a lot of great beer in DC. Enjoy!!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:06 AM   #5
prrriiide
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The District Chophouse and Brewery is on 7th St. NW between E & F streets, just south of the Verizon Center. There is a metro station inside the Verizon Center.

The District has some really good beers, including a bourbon-barrel aged stout that will really make an impact. Good or bad is for you to decide (I liked it a lot, my wife nearly spit it out). Food's really good too.

Quick Reply