Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Is it the "best beer in the world"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 190

Default Is it the "best beer in the world"?

The monks at St. Sixtus need a new roof, so they have decided to release Westveterlen 12 in the states. My local liquor store is one of three in the state to get the beer. They will have 36 bricks...a 6 pack and 2 glasses for the low price of $85.

I have had my share of trappist beer, even stopping at three different monasteries whilst travelling in Belgium, though this is kind of the mecca of trappists.

So I want to hear what you fine people have to say. Do I go stand in line? Or walk past everyone and buy St. Bernardus Abt 12 for $21 (or Straffe hendrik etc.)?

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...ns?odyssey=tab

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 285 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 18

"Best" is relative. But it's pretty damn good if you ask me... and I tend to prefer American beers. I had the wonderful opportunity to buy Westvleteren 12 at cost from a friend oversees a couple years ago. He got them directly from St. Sixtus. It was less than $1.70 per bottle so I bought eight of those... along with four of the Westvleteren 8's, two of the Westvleteren Blonds, and some rare Cantillons, St. Amatus, and Cuvee Delphine as well. Shipping was about $50-ish but it was a sacrifice I was willing to take. You only live once!

Old 12-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Here's another article:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...re-beer-in-u-s

I don't know. I am usually cranky and suspicious in the morning, but something about this whole thing bugs me. It just seems like a perfect story to generate marketing for their product. Even if you buy the story, the whole "we don't want to be too commercial until we need a new roof, so we will sell small quantities to the US at high prices and then stop as soon as we have our roof" is almost insulting in a way, given the price tag. I love Belgian abbey ales, but I have no qualms buying product from a Belgian brewery that sells a more affordable product.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Wow, that's pretty cynical - doubting a group of monks who never interact with the outside world.

But yeah, to the OP - it's really good. Dunno if it's the best in the world, but certainly something that if given the chance I think beer nerds should certainly try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD View Post
I don't know. I am usually cranky and suspicious in the morning, but something about this whole thing bugs me. It just seems like a perfect story to generate marketing for their product. Even if you buy the story, the whole "we don't want to be too commercial until we need a new roof, so we will sell small quantities to the US at high prices and then stop as soon as we have our roof" is almost insulting in a way, given the price tag. I love Belgian abbey ales, but I have no qualms buying product from a Belgian brewery that sells a more affordable product.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2189 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2170

Holy cow! St B 12 is $21 for a 750??? I swear that was under $10 early in my drinking career.

And no, Westy XII isn't worth that much, I think it's under 3$ a bottle at the brewery. That being said, if Shelton Bros wasn't Cthulhu incarnate, I'd be blowing the cash on it. I'd probably glue a bunch of rhinestones and junk on that ugly glass for when I want to get monk krunked.

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

People Like This 
Old 12-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
"Best" is relative. But it's pretty damn good if you ask me... and I tend to prefer American beers. I had the wonderful opportunity to buy Westvleteren 12 at cost from a friend oversees a couple years ago. He got them directly from St. Sixtus. It was less than $1.70 per bottle so I bought eight of those... along with four of the Westvleteren 8's, two of the Westvleteren Blonds, and some rare Cantillons, St. Amatus, and Cuvee Delphine as well. Shipping was about $50-ish but it was a sacrifice I was willing to take. You only live once!
Yes, personal preference is different. I would rather drink RIS than a sweet Belgian most days. I am jealous of your opportunity to pickup all those beers, are you still friends with him and can we be friends?

Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD View Post
Here's another article:

Jeesh, have some coffee or something. I don't care why the monks decided to ship some beer to us uncivilized pagan Americans, I would still be interested if they decided they wanted to erect Belgium's only drive-in theater/monastery.

Likely though, I will be purchasing something other than Westy.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Holy cow! St B 12 is $21 for a 750??? I swear that was under $10 early in my drinking career.

And no, Westy XII isn't worth that much, I think it's under 3$ a bottle at the brewery. That being said, if Shelton Bros wasn't Cthulhu incarnate, I'd be blowing the cash on it. I'd probably glue a bunch of rhinestones and junk on that ugly glass for when I want to get monk krunked.
I think he' referring to a 4-pack of 33cl. I think it's about $23 for a 4-pack at my local places.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post

Sorry, its $11. I fat fingered that.

Technically, Westy is $3 at the brewery, plus a flight to belgium ($1000), a rental car to get to the monastery ($100), a charge to change your flight because no one at the monastery answered their beer-line ($75), and a waffle ($10). So for us, this is a screaming deal.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
PowPow
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoHox View Post
Sorry, its $11. I fat fingered that.

Technically, Westy is $3 at the brewery, plus a flight to belgium ($1000), a rental car to get to the monastery ($100), a charge to change your flight because no one at the monastery answered their beer-line ($75), and a waffle ($10). So for us, this is a screaming deal.
If you want to buy a whole crate you would have to buy a car as well, because they demand a registration plate number when you pre order a crate

Or try to persuade the rental company to give you the registration plate number of the car (and hold that car so it's available whenever you get a reservation at the monastery).

On topic: Best in the world? Hard to say.. but it's one of the very best beers I have ever had. Me and two friends went there a couple of years ago, and played Rock-paper-scissors on who would be the dedicated driver. I lost

Quick Reply