Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Commercial Brew Discussion (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/)
-   -   Is it the "best beer in the world"? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/best-beer-world-373920/)

ColoHox 12-13-2012 12:58 PM

Is it the "best beer in the world"?
 
The monks at St. Sixtus need a new roof, so they have decided to release Westveterlen 12 in the states. My local liquor store is one of three in the state to get the beer. They will have 36 bricks...a 6 pack and 2 glasses for the low price of $85.

I have had my share of trappist beer, even stopping at three different monasteries whilst travelling in Belgium, though this is kind of the mecca of trappists.

So I want to hear what you fine people have to say. Do I go stand in line? Or walk past everyone and buy St. Bernardus Abt 12 for $21 (or Straffe hendrik etc.)?

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20121212/BREWERY/312120037/Rare-Belgium-beer-sold-Fort-Collins?odyssey=tab

bobbrews 12-13-2012 01:02 PM

"Best" is relative. But it's pretty damn good if you ask me... and I tend to prefer American beers. I had the wonderful opportunity to buy Westvleteren 12 at cost from a friend oversees a couple years ago. He got them directly from St. Sixtus. It was less than $1.70 per bottle so I bought eight of those... along with four of the Westvleteren 8's, two of the Westvleteren Blonds, and some rare Cantillons, St. Amatus, and Cuvee Delphine as well. Shipping was about $50-ish but it was a sacrifice I was willing to take. You only live once!

AndrewD 12-13-2012 01:07 PM

Here's another article:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/12/12/166987378/a-sign-from-above-needing-new-roof-monks-sell-rare-beer-in-u-s

I don't know. I am usually cranky and suspicious in the morning, but something about this whole thing bugs me. It just seems like a perfect story to generate marketing for their product. Even if you buy the story, the whole "we don't want to be too commercial until we need a new roof, so we will sell small quantities to the US at high prices and then stop as soon as we have our roof" is almost insulting in a way, given the price tag. I love Belgian abbey ales, but I have no qualms buying product from a Belgian brewery that sells a more affordable product.

brycelarson 12-13-2012 01:16 PM

Wow, that's pretty cynical - doubting a group of monks who never interact with the outside world. :)

But yeah, to the OP - it's really good. Dunno if it's the best in the world, but certainly something that if given the chance I think beer nerds should certainly try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewD (Post 4678190)
I don't know. I am usually cranky and suspicious in the morning, but something about this whole thing bugs me. It just seems like a perfect story to generate marketing for their product. Even if you buy the story, the whole "we don't want to be too commercial until we need a new roof, so we will sell small quantities to the US at high prices and then stop as soon as we have our roof" is almost insulting in a way, given the price tag. I love Belgian abbey ales, but I have no qualms buying product from a Belgian brewery that sells a more affordable product.


TNGabe 12-13-2012 01:44 PM

Holy cow! St B 12 is $21 for a 750??? I swear that was under $10 early in my drinking career.

And no, Westy XII isn't worth that much, I think it's under 3$ a bottle at the brewery. That being said, if Shelton Bros wasn't Cthulhu incarnate, I'd be blowing the cash on it. I'd probably glue a bunch of rhinestones and junk on that ugly glass for when I want to get monk krunked.

ColoHox 12-13-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbrews (Post 4678175)
"Best" is relative. But it's pretty damn good if you ask me... and I tend to prefer American beers. I had the wonderful opportunity to buy Westvleteren 12 at cost from a friend oversees a couple years ago. He got them directly from St. Sixtus. It was less than $1.70 per bottle so I bought eight of those... along with four of the Westvleteren 8's, two of the Westvleteren Blonds, and some rare Cantillons, St. Amatus, and Cuvee Delphine as well. Shipping was about $50-ish but it was a sacrifice I was willing to take. You only live once!

Yes, personal preference is different. I would rather drink RIS than a sweet Belgian most days. I am jealous of your opportunity to pickup all those beers, are you still friends with him and can we be friends?

ColoHox 12-13-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewD (Post 4678190)
Here's another article:

I don't know. I am usually cranky and suspicious in the morning, but something about this whole thing bugs me. It just seems like a perfect story to generate marketing for their product. Even if you buy the story, the whole "we don't want to be too commercial until we need a new roof, so we will sell small quantities to the US at high prices and then stop as soon as we have our roof" is almost insulting in a way, given the price tag. I love Belgian abbey ales, but I have no qualms buying product from a Belgian brewery that sells a more affordable product.

Jeesh, have some coffee or something. I don't care why the monks decided to ship some beer to us uncivilized pagan Americans, I would still be interested if they decided they wanted to erect Belgium's only drive-in theater/monastery.

Likely though, I will be purchasing something other than Westy.

JordanThomas 12-13-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNGabe (Post 4678303)
Holy cow! St B 12 is $21 for a 750??? I swear that was under $10 early in my drinking career.

And no, Westy XII isn't worth that much, I think it's under 3$ a bottle at the brewery. That being said, if Shelton Bros wasn't Cthulhu incarnate, I'd be blowing the cash on it. I'd probably glue a bunch of rhinestones and junk on that ugly glass for when I want to get monk krunked.

I think he' referring to a 4-pack of 33cl. I think it's about $23 for a 4-pack at my local places.

ColoHox 12-13-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNGabe (Post 4678303)
Holy cow! St B 12 is $21 for a 750??? I swear that was under $10 early in my drinking career.

And no, Westy XII isn't worth that much, I think it's under 3$ a bottle at the brewery. That being said, if Shelton Bros wasn't Cthulhu incarnate, I'd be blowing the cash on it. I'd probably glue a bunch of rhinestones and junk on that ugly glass for when I want to get monk krunked.

Sorry, its $11. I fat fingered that.

Technically, Westy is $3 at the brewery, plus a flight to belgium ($1000), a rental car to get to the monastery ($100), a charge to change your flight because no one at the monastery answered their beer-line ($75), and a waffle ($10). So for us, this is a screaming deal.

PowPow 12-13-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoHox (Post 4678392)
Sorry, its $11. I fat fingered that.

Technically, Westy is $3 at the brewery, plus a flight to belgium ($1000), a rental car to get to the monastery ($100), a charge to change your flight because no one at the monastery answered their beer-line ($75), and a waffle ($10). So for us, this is a screaming deal.

If you want to buy a whole crate you would have to buy a car as well, because they demand a registration plate number when you pre order a crate :D

Or try to persuade the rental company to give you the registration plate number of the car (and hold that car so it's available whenever you get a reservation at the monastery).

On topic: Best in the world? Hard to say.. but it's one of the very best beers I have ever had. Me and two friends went there a couple of years ago, and played Rock-paper-scissors on who would be the dedicated driver. I lost :smack:


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:57 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.