Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Beer Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Someguyinahat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer Suggestions

I'm interested in expanding my knowledge of beer...by drinking it. BUT I DON'T WANT TO BE DISAPPOINTED AND WASTE MY MONEY!! The next time I'm in my local liquor store staring at the 750's in the micro and craft brew section what should I choose?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Very rarely have I been disappointed with my random selections. For years, I never left the liquor store with anything I had sampled before. It's the only way you will broaden your horizons. The chances of what I (or anybody) like and what you will like, being the same.....not very high. My store allows me to pick single 12 oz bottles and sorta make your own sixer. I would suggest that if your afraid of disappointment from a 750ml.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are worried about trying things you might not like you will miss out on a lot a great beer.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Someguyinahat
Recipes 

Thanks Dad...

Old 07-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

It's hard to give any better advice than what was already said since you gave absolutely no indication of what beers or styles you have tried and liked already. But I guess I'll go for it anyways...

First off I'll give a very concise and calm version of what could be a long rant and say that craft bombers/750s are rarely a good investment on a dollars per ounce basis. With the exception of sours/wilds, I cannot think of a single style where the beer only available in large format is worth the extra money.

I don't know if Founders makes it to you, but IMO they don't make a bad beer. In fact, the only beer of theirs that I wouldn't describe as great is Cerise, but I think that's more because I'm not a huge cherry fan.

Unfortunately, I can't think of another brewery that makes it close to you that I can reccomend the whole lineup for, so give more info and we'll go from there.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
Someguyinahat
Recipes 

I live in CT. The only styles I have found I usually don't care for are white and wheat ales, rice/corn beer or really fruity beers.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

How the hell would we know what you'd like or not?

Everybody's tastes are different, I love sweet potatoes and my GF hates them. That's human nature. So how could we realistically give you any advice into what you should try, especially since you are so afraid of "wasting money" trying new things.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Hammy71 Likes This 
Old 07-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #8
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguyinahat View Post
I live in CT. The only styles I have found I usually don't care for are white and wheat ales, rice/corn beer or really fruity beers.
Still overly broad, and I also don't know what you've already tried, but here's what I've got:

Southern Tier 2XIPA and Victory Hop Wallop are two good IIPAs. Oskar Blues makes some good canned beer: Dale's Pale Ale is my tailgate go-to and Ten Fidy is amazing. Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout and North Coast's Old Rasputin are two more good stouts. Hope this helps.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #9
UncleChuck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
If you are worried about trying things you might not like you will miss out on a lot a great beer.
Absolute truth right there.

To the OP,

It takes time, just pick up a few things that interest you every time your at the store, you'll start learning what styles you like, and it will get easier and easier to pick up a new brew. You'll also expand your knowledge base enough, that you can read up on specific beers online, and get a decent grasp of what something will probably taste like.

In addition to that, at least in my experience, your tastes will change while you are exploring different styles. I used to be really into stouts and porters, now I'm in an IPA and Red Ale phase. I've always loved Barleywines and Belgium beers, though.

You'll begin to appreciate and enjoy a broader spectrum of beer, even if it's something you wouldn't buy again. In the past year or so, I can really only think of maybe 4-5 beers that I really hated, and that's with tasting hundreds of beers. I have a book that records ONLY the beers I really like, and it's at 215+ beers right now. If I included all the beers I've ever tried, it would probably be 350-400.

I've even gone back to beers that, in the past, I wasn't fond of, and some I now like quite a bit.

Just be patient, stay open to new styles and breweries, and try everything you can afford/obtain.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
arsenal610
Recipes 

Great advice UncleChuck.

My random suggestion would be Schneider Aventinus(8.2%)

Check out My Beer Blog

Quick Reply