The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > This Beer Sucks, IMO

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 02:29 AM   #1
Franiblector
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default This Beer Sucks, IMO

Belgian white beers have become one of my favorite styles.

And I do have to also mention, I have fallen in love with Sam Adams.
Ah his robust Cherry Wheat, his zingy Hefeweizen, his bold Boston Ale....

But I was sorely disappointed today... *sigh*

I picked up a six pack of Sam Adams White Ale, with great enthusiasm.
I eagerly awaited through 45 minutes of traffic for that first sip out of a frosty mug of bubbly golden escence.

What sensations came over me when I took my sip? What overcame me as I let the hazy yellow liquid gold flow down my throat?

Well, I guess the feeling that came over me was probably akin to something all you men out there have more than likely experienced thus far in your years...
It was like being walked in on during a completely passionate moment and losing all ability to continue: blue balls.

Now I don't know what that feels like in the real world but I can only imagine.

It's like finding out your true love has chronic halitosis, or smacks her food while eating, or smacks her gum incessantly, or nags to no end.

Sam Adams White Ale sux.

There was no flavor to it at all. In fact, it reminded me of some crappy canned brew. It tasted thin, slightly metallic, and didn't have one hint of fruit flavor, corriander, or any other spice for that matter.
Even when I burped it was flat - no after taste or anything.

Just.....

blah.

I leave you, my brewin buds, adieu

*crushed*

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
Tophe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry to hear that.....and thanks for a good chuckle first thing in the morning comparing it to blue balls.....Now im sure it wasn't THAT bad Ive never tried it so I don't know....but my first batch of belgian white just got racked to secondary yesterday. I could taste the spices in mine.

Anyways...I tried that sam adams cherry wheat once and I didnt like it. I think it was the cherry that I didnt care for. My g'f drank the whole 6 pack though.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Franiblector,
I too have purchased a 12er of this last weekend. My 1st taste I wasn't quite sure what it was that I was tasting. It just seemed "strange" to me. Initially kind of sour and flat. 2nd gulp better I guess or just used to it. Wasn't what I was expecting but I didn't have the gag reflex going quite like your experience. I'll drink em (I'm bone dry on drinkable home brew expect for the wifes apricot wheat) but won't get them again.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

the only sam adams i've liked is the boston lager, the summer ale, and the winter ale, the rest just tastes to me like they poured cherry juice or what not into it. i don't think i like the whit beers as it is, but i've only had the same adams whit stuff... i'm a pleb

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:56 PM   #5
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Seriously, guys, expecting Sam Adams to make a good Wit was not a good move

Sam Adams makes some decent beers, but there's not one of theirs that I would consider world-class, and anything that's a specialty like a Wit is going to be a novelty show at best. (Anyone remember their Cherry 'Lambic"...do they still make that stuff??)

There's not one style Sam Adams makes that a different microbrewery in this country does not make better as far as I can tell. They're hardly a microbrewery anymore. They have multiple facilities, amke hundreds of thousands of barrels, etc.

The bottom line is, a great Wit (Hoegaarden, Celis, Blanche de Bruges) is an art form that most Americans can't appreciate. Sam adams is not an artistic brewery. They bring medium-brew to the masses. But they are nowhere near top-tier as far as the beer brewed in this country.

When you see them making a Wit, it tells you just how trendy Wit has become (incredibly trendy). You're gonna see a lot of breweries jumping on that bandwagon, but expecting them to be anywhere near as good as Hoegaarden or Celis is a recipe for disappointment.

I remember thinking Sam Adams was the best thing in the world...and then I started broadening my horizons. Go to a specialty beer shop that carries some true small microbreweries and foreign representations of classic styles and I think you'll end up finding a lot more satisfaction than you will in a Sammies. Just my opinion.

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-10-2005, 03:01 PM   #6
Franiblector
Recipes 

I couldn't agree with you more Janx.

Like I said, I have become a beer snob. I used to drink Bud/Micelob/etc. Now I can't stand it. (oh the horror!)

Sam Adams is just a replacement for budget purposes.

I meant by no means to elevate them to the microbrewery quality beer.

I do have to say though, Blue Moon definitely tops my list of inexpensive Wit Beers.

Unfortunately I can't get New Belgium's Summer Wheat, Blanche de Bruges, Hoegaarden, or even Celis here in Nashville. Blue Moon is sold at the grocery store, and at $7 a 6 pack, it solves my budget concerns AND gives me the fix I need when my homebrew Belgian Wit is all gone.

Old 03-10-2005, 03:05 PM   #7
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Have you had good luck making a tasty Wit at home?

That's what we're making this weekend...working on a recipe now. My goal is to get as close to Celis as possible so I can have Wit all summer long

Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
Franiblector
Recipes 

YUM!

Yes, my homebrew Wit is actually pretty good. It's a little more bold in flavor than microbrewery versions I have tried, not bold per se re alcohol content or anything, just bold taste.
It's OK. I need to perfect it though.
As you know, I am still using kits. I know I know. But they were gifts at Christmas and I can't just let them go to waste. Plus, it's good practice.
Anyways, if I get a chance tonight, I'll drink one and give you the run-down on how I think it tastes (at work now).

It's pretty good nonetheless. I brewed it on Jan 30th. In primary for 7 days (slow fermentation). Racked to secondary too soon, so it continued fermenting in secondary. Left it in the secondary for 21 days. Bottled on Feb 27th.
I have only been putting one six pack at a time in the fridge, so I guess it's been bottle conditioning at 68 degrees since Feb 27th. The longer it sits, the better it tastes. I've got 4 six packs left (I'm a beer drinkin' woman!).

Old 03-10-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
NUCC98

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franiblector
YUM!

Yes, my homebrew Wit is actually pretty good. It's a little more bold in flavor than microbrewery versions I have tried, not bold per se re alcohol content or anything, just bold taste.
It's OK. I need to perfect it though.
As you know, I am still using kits. I know I know. But they were gifts at Christmas and I can't just let them go to waste. Plus, it's good practice.
Anyways, if I get a chance tonight, I'll drink one and give you the run-down on how I think it tastes (at work now).

It's pretty good nonetheless. I brewed it on Jan 30th. In primary for 7 days (slow fermentation). Racked to secondary too soon, so it continued fermenting in secondary. Left it in the secondary for 21 days. Bottled on Feb 27th.
I have only been putting one six pack at a time in the fridge, so I guess it's been bottle conditioning at 68 degrees since Feb 27th. The longer it sits, the better it tastes. I've got 4 six packs left (I'm a beer drinkin' woman!).
Nothin' wrong with a good kit.....think you can post some ingredients for that Wit, though?

You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

Old 03-10-2005, 03:30 PM   #10
Franiblector
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCC98
Nothin' wrong with a good kit.....think you can post some ingredients for that Wit, though?
Sure. Purchased at www.MidwestSupplies.com.
BELGIAN WITBIER
The Belgian Wit WYeast #3944 is recommended and is responsible this beers refreshing flavor.

Our ingredients for this recipe include:

6 pounds of Wheat malt extract
1/2 lb. Carapils malt
1 oz. Hallertau bittering hops
1 oz. Hallertau aroma hops
1 Tblsp Coriander
1 Tblsp Orange peel
Belgian Wit WYeast #3944
priming sugar
muslin bag

Add coriander and orange peel for the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Quick Reply