Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Beer noob

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
dx6x
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Beer noob

So im one of those people that has been said often thats hated on here I say I hate beer. While only have tride Bud, miller, rolling rock, Old style, Milwaukee's best(o god but it was cheep) and dos equis( the best of them imo
). Ive herd repeated often that there's a beer for every one so i want to start exploreing that. As a 1st step I will be going to binny's and getting a mix and match 6 pack. Would like some advice as what to get. As far as what I drink I use to be a big whiskey drinker( southern comfort , honey jack) but have since went to cider( wood chuck summer>802>amber>pear)

Any help would be greatly appreciated in helping me rediscover beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
NewWestBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx6x View Post
So im one of those people that has been said often thats hated on here I say I hate beer. While only have tride Bud, miller, rolling rock, Old style, Milwaukee's best(o god but it was cheep) and dos equis( the best of them imo
). Ive herd repeated often that there's a beer for every one so i want to start exploreing that. As a 1st step I will be going to binny's and getting a mix and match 6 pack. Would like some advice as what to get. As far as what I drink I use to be a big whiskey drinker( southern comfort , honey jack) but have since went to cider( wood chuck summer>802>amber>pear)

Any help would be greatly appreciated in helping me rediscover beer.
First off, welcome. Secondly - those are not beers you describe above . Figure out what you like, try different brews from different breweries and develop your palate. I used to not like IPA's but over time I developed my palate and now they are my go to beer. Ask your local store to recommend some suggestions.

Cheers

Fermenter #1:
Fermenter #2: Air
Fermenter #3: Air
Bottled: Alesmith IPA
Up Next: Buffalo Sweat Clone (FinsFan)

Old 12-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
dranderson
She loves beer, so what's not to like about her?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you can get a mix and match six pac then that would be a great place to start. It is helpful to know what kind of beer you would like before trying to brew it. Google beer styles and look up popular brands in that style. Just know that home brew is way better tasting.

You are currently drinking hard cider, there is a whole forum here on making just that. Maybe that would be a good starting point as the processes are similar. The insight, recipes and advice from the brewers here is priceless.

good luck and I hope this helps.

I can't stop watching the bubbles

Old 12-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
dx6x
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah I all ready brewing have a batch of wine and 2 batches of cider under my belt. With a hard root beer in fermenter Just trying to find I beer I like to drink to open that side of brewing to me.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 21

For the OP who seems to have not tried many, here are a few easy ones that most stores will have: Guiness Extra Stout, Sierra Nevada (reg), Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Newcastle Brown Ale, Heavy Seas Ale.......

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 12-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I would recommend figuring out what types of beer you like and don't like. My LHBS has their recommendation for each style. Figure out whether you like IPA's, or stouts, or Wheats, or . . .

From there you can start to rule out why you don't like them, too hoppy, not hoppy enough, etc.

Happy drinking!

Old 12-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
JBOGAN
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 27

First off i would support your local breweries.If you find one you like within close proximity not only is that a plus for you its a plus for them.Another plus is you will most likely be able to get a little 4oz or 2oz sample for free instead of devoting money to a six pack that will go to waste if you do not care for it.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
dx6x
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah planing on doing some brewery tours soon just thought the mixer 6 pack might be a good start.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
ledhead72486
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Try the sixer. I would try to grab 6 different styles and go from there. You are going to try some you don't like but it you gotta start somewhere.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
TallDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Let the guys at Binny's help you out. Just tell them that you're looking to try some new things and don't have any favorites yet and just want a variety. Of course, there are a number of great breweries here in the Chicago area and many offer tasting flights where you can have 3-4oz of several different beers to get a taste of it all. Where around Chicago are you? I'm usually up for an excuse to head to a brewery...

Quick Reply