New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > A-B deal. How do we feel about THEIR new Belgian Overlords?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 07:18 AM   #51
MikeFlynn74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
And really, InBev has done us all a favor. Drinking American now means drinking higher quality beer
I do fear for the Jobs that will be lost, reading about InBev slash and burn policies for profit policies.

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #52
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
We're in a new era. Globalization is changing everything and with teh dollar as weak as it is, everything American is dirt cheap (relatively) to the rest of the world.

If America wants to be #1, they have to take a serious look at how to do that and not just assume we're always going to be there. Too many Americans are WAY too proud to admit we have issues, but we do and solving them will make us the global leader again. In the meantime, people will still fly here and buy up everything we make.
I dont see how selling large corportations (and dont fool yourself, InBev is going to make money hand over fist with this deal) overseas accomplishes what you are suggesting. AB pumped a lot of money into our economy. AB-InBev will also pump a lot of money into our country, but a large percentage of the overall money is going to go overseas. The American economy was better off before this deal happened.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #53
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
ollllllo are you saying that there wont be shelve space for craftbrew due to mandatory stocking of other In-Bev product?
Answered here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=72463
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 07-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #54
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies View Post
I dont see how selling large corportations (and dont fool yourself, InBev is going to make money hand over fist with this deal) overseas accomplishes what you are suggesting. AB pumped a lot of money into our economy. AB-InBev will also pump a lot of money into our country, but a large percentage of the overall money is going to go overseas. The American economy was better off before this deal happened.
All 12 AB breweries will still operate in America. The salaries of those workers will still get their paychecks. They will still buy ads, and their beer will still be taxed at the state and federal level. America will still see a ton of money. The only shift is where the rich people get richer and it isn't like America benefits from the huge stockpiles of cash of the rich. Additionally, There are still shareholders, it is just that the majority will be owned by another country.

What was I suggesting? I am saying this will continue to happen until our country figures out a new economic model, we get ourselves out of debt, and we stop being so arrogant. Economies are not national anymore. We need to accept the global economy and at the same time figure out how to continue to be prosperous.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #55
rockout
Recipes 

As a comparison, many Americans wept and lamented when a Japanese company bought Rockefeller Center in its entirety in 1989, another time when our dollar was weak. Then in 2000, when our dollar was strong again, guess what happened? Some American billionaires bought it back. Big deal.

Stubbornly sticking to the opinion that "This is bad fer 'mericans!" is laughable. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, of course, but protectionism is without a doubt bad for the American economy, and that's been proven before. The InBev deal is not bad or good on any measurable scale; it's just a reflection of where the dollar is at the moment.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #56
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I have a hard time feeling bad for A-B. Aren't they just now becoming victims of what they've been doing to other breweries for decades?

Old 07-16-2008, 12:11 AM   #57
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockout View Post
Why would he care? The beer his company is now brewing isn't the same as what he brewed.
Just curious, what is the source of your information? Last I knew it was mostly the same recipe and has changed very little over the past one hundred years.

FWIW, I do not consume any AB products, but I certainly do respect their business model.

BTW...little known fact, or perhaps widely known...Adolphus Busch never really cared for beer, especially his own. He in fact was a wine drinker. Hard to believe, but true.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:51 AM   #58
Desert Monkey
Recipes 

I agree on the pieces here in which distribution is mentioned as a negative impact to the current US Craft Beer market. It's also an interesting impact to the market of AB drinkers that now hear they have a new overlord at the switch.

In my experiences with AB drinking types, they seem to have a "you can have my X when you pry it from my cold dead hands" mentality when foreign companies impact a product they see as "American". Outside the job discussion, maybe some of these hard core American Beer drinkers will balk at the takeover, and say "if that's the way it's to be, give me a Real American Beer - Sam Adams will do".

Just saying, maybe some of them move into the American craft beers out of spite to the overseas image this news presents.

—General Jack D. Ripper

Old 07-16-2008, 01:11 AM   #59
Dr Vorlauf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew View Post
For all the talk about Inbev's cost-cutting and the potential loss of A-B jobs here in the US, I found this interesting

Attachment 6495

InBev has almost 3x the employees of A-B, but produces only ~50% more beer?
Typical ratio for many European based companies.

Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Dr. Vorlauf.... you are a scary, scary man. Kimchee?!!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:12 AM   #60
Dr Vorlauf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockout View Post
As a comparison, many Americans wept and lamented when a Japanese company bought Rockefeller Center in its entirety in 1989, another time when our dollar was weak. Then in 2000, when our dollar was strong again, guess what happened? Some American billionaires bought it back. Big deal.

Stubbornly sticking to the opinion that "This is bad fer 'mericans!" is laughable. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, of course, but protectionism is without a doubt bad for the American economy, and that's been proven before. The InBev deal is not bad or good on any measurable scale; it's just a reflection of where the dollar is at the moment.
The Japanese lost a ton of money on that deal. They sold when real estate in Manhattan was in the tank.

Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Dr. Vorlauf.... you are a scary, scary man. Kimchee?!!

Quick Reply