Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > ATTN: New England Folks, especially VT. Is it Just me or has VT. beer gone downhill?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
Zymurgrafi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default ATTN: New England Folks, especially VT. Is it Just me or has VT. beer gone downhill?

I guess this is a rant.

I really used to like many of the breweries here in Vermont but I just cannot recommend or drink many of the beers anymore. They tend lately to be mediocre to bad. I am not saying all of the breweries but many of the "major" ones. I find myself looking out of state if I buy commercial beer.

Example. I used to really like Long Trail Double Bag. I bought one today and it was foul. Maybe it was a bad bottle? Maybe it was old? It was heavy on off-flavors. DMS? But it is not the first time I have had an off beer from them.

Mediocre Hat, well, they have been going downhill for a long time.

Otter Creek I used to really enjoy too. A good standby. Their pale ale, porter and Copper (altbier) ale were all solid. I had them recently at a party and they were, meh.

Rock Art is coming out with some interesting things and I really enjoy their Vermonster, but they can be really hit or miss too sometimes.

Have my standards just changed and perhaps are too high? Or is the beer just not as good as it was here in VT?

Like I said, I am not bagging all Vermont breweries. I know there are some really good ones making excellent brews. They just aren't available all over.

Okay, glad i got that off my chest.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3512 Times on 3402 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Maybe your taste buds are still pissed off you chewed them out so badly recently.

I have to agree on some of that. I used to like Magic Hat a lot. While I still enjoy Roxy Rolles, it just seems they put too much time into their oddball marketing and not enough into their beer.

I was thinking of getting my SS recipient something from Rock Art. Should I abandon that plan?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tragic Hat has always been crap. Never had long trail. Otter Creek is the same as it ever was: good for the price. Your tastes have changed, methinks...especially if you ever though Tragic Hat was any good.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 12-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'll bet your palate has changed. Once you get into drinking better beer, there's really no going back. I used to like Newcastle, and even Guinness for that matter. Now, I can't be bothered with either. they just taste bad to me (more bland than bad, I guess, but not inspiring by any means.)

Old 12-02-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Yeah, another vote for your palatte getting more discerning (which can be good or bad). I had a Long Trail a little while back, and it was just boring; better than BMC, but not by that much. And Magic Hat - another vote for Roxy being really good, and another vote against pretty much everything else they make. Mostly OK (except #9, which we all know is terrible), but nothing exceptional.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Magic Crap has made some decent beers. Not many, but some and certainly nothing amazing. I'll stop there as I could go on and on and on!

I think Long Trail was pretty good. I dunno why some of them have tasted so bad lately. Like I said, Double Bag was great. Hit the trail ale (English Brown) and Long Trail ale (altbier) were good. Seasonals like Hybernator (Scottish ale I think) I remember being alright but I am afraid to try it again. Especially because they seem to only be available in 12 packs.

Maybe it is poor storage/handling from the store? I do not think so though as the off-flavors are pretty bad. I think it would have to be some REALLY rough handling to create them.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
Magic Crap has made some decent beers. Not many, but some and certainly nothing amazing. I'll stop there as I could go on and on and on!
Hey, at least they have cool, free T-shirts if you get the right bottle cap.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Oh, and to answer your question Shecky. I think a Rock Art brew could be a good choice for SS. Especially the Vermonster.

To be honest I was resampling locals to decide what I would include.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 12-02-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi View Post
Oh, and to answer your question Shecky. I think a Rock Art brew could be a good choice for SS. Especially the Vermonster.

To be honest I was resampling locals to decide what I would include.
Thanks. I've only had one Rock Art sampling and it was a few years ago so I don't remember what it was. I do remember that it was awfully good.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #10
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I'm not a big fan of Rock Art I can't recall anything I've had from them being that good. Mcneils (did I spell that right?) makes some nice stouts. +1 on the Roxy. It's a shame that the Alchemist doesn't package their beers I don't think many breweries can match the beer you can get there. Vermont pub and brewery does some fine stuff too. Long trail is ok and don't forget Harpoon is also in Vermont and they still make some pretty good beer. I love our yearly trip up to Stowe.

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Quick Reply