Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Anyone ever drink Hop'n Gator, Malt Duck or Right Time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default Anyone ever drink Hop'n Gator, Malt Duck or Right Time?

This is from Maureen Ogle, the author of Ambitious Brew's blog. I was only 7 years old in '71 so I have never heard of any of these....But it's interresting how Lime Lager has made a comeback.

So do any of you "more seasoned" people remember these beer-like beverages?

Quote:
The more things change. . .

In 1971, several small and regional brewing companies introduced new beers aimed at "young adults" who were willing to experiment with "all sorts of beverages of an alcoholic nature."

From Pittsburgh Brewing Company came "Hop'n Gator," described as "a distant cousin of Gatorade" but with 25% more alcohol than beer. (No word on how or why Hop'n qualified as a beer ...) National Brewing introduced Malt Duck.

Hamm Brewing launched "Right Time" two colors, red and gold. The red version, with a fruity sweet flavor was for "girls." The "tart" gold version was for "boys.". Hamm executives believed they had a hit on their hands: Early sales figures indicated that "Right Time" appealed to young drinkers, "blacks, Mexican-Americans, and to some people in the 50-to-60 set."

And then there was "Lime Lager" brewed by Lone Star Brewing Company of Texas. Lone Star aimed the new brew at the beer drinker who "doesn't like the taste of beer but likes lime."

As far as these small regional brewers were concerned, drinks like these were the key to survival. "We have to bring out new products or we'll be buried by the giants," explained one brewery representative.

And hey, apparently that Lime Lager was a good idea!
http://maureenogle.com/blog/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Revvy

Recipes 

I found some images...

(Wow that is about as exciting as the generic white can with the black or blue "BEER" label.)

(Malt liquor & Cold Duck wine??? All you need is to mix it with mead and you got a midas touch clone j/k)

I can't find the other 2 mentioned, Righttime and Lone Stare Lime Lager.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
lorian
Recipes 

One of my friends and I were just talking about drinking Right Time in the early 1970's. I wish they would bring it back

Old 06-24-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

wow, I'm honored (and surprised) that you made your first post in this ancient thread...and glad that someone understood what I wrote about...as you can see by the huge number of responses......this thread went over like a lead balloon.

Welcome!

Old 08-22-2009, 03:56 AM   #5
waxworks007
Recipes 

I remember the 70's Right Time Malt Liq. great days. but i have never found anything as good as Hamm s Right Time. sure miss the great taste.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:59 AM   #6
waxworks007
Recipes 

Does anyone remember the TV commercials on Hamm's beer and the bear? Got to love it.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1263 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxworks007 View Post
Does anyone remember the TV commercials on Hamm's beer and the bear? Got to love it.
yes.
I have a sh*t ton of Hamms' memorabilia in storage. some day I will sell it on ebay and retire.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Their new commercial sounds lime the crazy fiat music.- Zuljin

Old 08-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
PhoenixCoyote
Recipes 

I remember Malt Duck, i was in my teens when drinking that. Early 80's. It was pretty good to me, it was a grape flavored beer. Had a light purple color to it. I liked it because it was different at the time, a different flavor of beer. They came out with apple duck later on, but it was not as big as the grape. I remember those came in quarts. I would buy it now still. Thanks.

Primary: Nada

Secondary: Nada

Bottled: Nada

Up Next:

Planning: Fruit Beer? Chocolate Bock?

Quick Reply