Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Am I the only one annoyed by beer store clerks...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickylr
That's the problem these days. Generally speaking, they have no inkling to care and no incentive either. If I guessed, I'd say when FlyGuy asked him/her not tilt the beer and the clerk went ahead and did so, he bought it anyway.
Actually, when I drafted the post I went on to say what ensued after. But it got too long and too rant'ish, so I deleted it before posting.

I actually asked the clerk very politely if I could just exchange the 6-pack for another one on the shelf. She got really annoyed with me at that point, and told me that wouldn't be necessary. I tried to explain my reasoning, and that just used up her patience. Mine too. I asked her to remove it from my bill, and I only bought my other item. I know the manager at that store, so I am going to (politely) relate what happened the next time I see him. He is a beer guy, so he might actually care.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I asked her to remove it from my bill, and I only bought my other item. I know the manager at that store, so I am going to (politely) relate what happened the next time I see him. He is a beer guy, so he might actually care.
Good to know, and hopefully you'll do some good. As mentioned, I usually just ignore it these days though upon occasion (and often to the chagrin of my wife/kids) I "Make a Point." The kids just say "Daddy went off again" and the family has a list of such "incidents." Note that in all those occasions I never lost my temper or was belligerent, just quietly insistent that they correct whatever had set me off.

I honestly believe that if more of us made issues of such things, we might see improvement, but I rarely think it's worth it anymore. Depending on your viewpoint, I've ether mellowed or given up.

Rick

Old 02-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #13
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ
India was not amused. Mainframe job abends are serious business.
I thought I was the only one dealing with India about mainframe abends.
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 02-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

SWMBO just got me a shirt from beeradvocate that says "Beer Geek" I'm going to wear it EVERY time we go out now. This way, hopefully, people will understand more when I ask whats on tap that I don't want a bud light.

We went out to diner last night and I asked what was on tap, they used to have a hefe but I didn't know if they still had it. She went off on the usual BMC oh and we have Shiner. I'm going to make it a point now to waltz by the bar before sitting down so I can just ask for what I want, hopefully not not go through it again and again.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:18 PM   #15
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken

Recipes 

Quote:
I asked what was on tap
At a restaurant, where I figured the choice would be four or five beers:

Me - "What beers do you have?"

Server - "Oh, we'll have anything you want."

Me - "Young's Double Chocolate Stout."

Server - "Uh . . . well, we have" and she named seven or eight. But in her defense, I guess she's right 95% of the time.

Rick

Old 02-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #16
sflcowboy78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my favorite place to go does have pretty much any beer you want. if anyone is ever in fort worth you need to stop by the flying saucer. they have a tap wall with about 80 to 90 diff beers on tap plus about another 150 in bottles. and most of their services unless they are new are very knowledgeable about the beers.

"The easiest way to spot a wanker in a pub is to look around and find who's drinking a Corona with a slice of lime in the neck."
-Warwick Franks

Bottled - I drank it all...
Primary #1 - Apfelwein 5 gal
Primary #2 - Pomegranat Apfelwein 5 gal
Primary #3 -
Planning - Irish Red, Stout???, more Apfelwein

I am a little behind but 10 gallons to date

Old 02-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #17
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 167

rickylr - I did the same thing a week ago at a eatery with bar (I was at the bar). I was piss tired from work and a bit grumpy with some co-workers.

Me: What kind of beer you have.
She: Pretty much anything you'd like (I wanted her, she was hot but I digress)
Me: Moose Drool?
She: <odd look>
Me: HobGoblin?
She: <odd look>
Me: <contemplate throwing out the arrogant bastard> Bass?
She: No, <at least she heard of that one>.
She: See the bottles up on the shelf?
Me: Ah yes (sees BMC, various MX and a couple italians (italian joint).
Me: I'll take a Pacifico please

Beer lists would be awesome everywhere!

Old 02-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #18
kram
Recipes 

I am semi fortunate in this respect. My local beer store (which has a generous selection) also happens to have a well versed, intelligent beer 'steward' who knows every new arrival, what everything is, and knows how to handle a bottle conditioned beer.

Of course, the employee in question is also my progeny, so he better know his beer (and give me the best possible service).

On the other hand, when I go out to a restaraunt I have a very different experience. I always ask what is on draft and only sometimes do they know (and I always ghave to hear the BMC items before any good beer). When possible I will swing past the bar and check the taps for the selection, its usually easier.

In Primary: n/a
In Secondary:
Aging:
Drinking: Black Lager and Cream Ale
On Deck: IPA

Old 02-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #19
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I deal with the "tilting" problem all the time too. I went to one of my local stores (mainly a grocery store, but with an awesome beer and wine dept.) and bought a North Coast LeMerle Saison and an Avery, The Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest. Right after the cashier had rung up the Saison and before i had time to say anything she turned and laid it down on it's side in the bag! I very calmly asked her if she would mind standing the beers up in the bag, that was met with an "are you F'ing serious" sideways glance. I was a bit put off by it, so the next time i am in there and see the guy that does the beer ordering for the store (I have talked to him numerous times) I am going to sugest that he hold a training class for all of the other employees of the store.

Oh and the restaraunt thing...... yeah i don't even ask any more, unless i know that the servers are going to be well versed in the beer they are serving, which there are a few places in town that they actually train the servers on beer styles and what they are serving. I will just go to the bar on my way to the table and look for myself or ask the bartender.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #20
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When I go into a pub that might have something good on tap, I just ask if they have anything 'unusual'. Typically, that equates to the good stuff (or Strongbow).

Quick Reply