The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Ales/IPA tastings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 01:07 AM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Ales/IPA tastings

I visited San Francisco and didn't have a chance to visit any really good pubs. I got dragged into a ton of client dinners and didn't think suggesting "98 Beers" as fine dining, etc. I tried any draft brews these restaurants had that I've never tried.

Big Daddy IPA was quite good. It was obviously a Cascade bomb and I'm glad I like that sort of thing.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I know it's weird that I've never had this (I had in a bottle once). On draft, it was great. I'll be trying to clone this one soon.

Lagunita IPA. Holy SH, this was the worst beer I've ever tasted. I really hope it was an old stale keg. It tasted like they forgot to add hops at all. No aroma, no taste, just a bit of bitterness. In all fairness, this was in an Irish Pub so it's possible it doesn't rotate out often enough....but damn.

Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale (bottled). I think they're out of Colorado. Really great. It's definitely a cross between a Scottish ale and an American Amber. More hops than a Scottish for sure.

Anchor Steam... No thanks. Maybe I have no palette but it tastes bland to me. It's like an ale version of Yeungling lager.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2007, 02:28 AM   #2
brewt00l
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale (bottled). I think they're out of Colorado. Really great. It's definitely a cross between a Scottish ale and an American Amber. More hops than a Scottish for sure.
Check out a state flag while you're in SF.

Sadly, we get no bear republic love back in the PA. If you bring back some Hop Rod Rye and Racer 5, you will be a popular guy back on the east coast!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply