Alaskan Brewing Baltic Porter Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Style Guidelines

Not having tried a Baltic Porter before, I didn't know what to expect. The BJCP style guidelines hint that sweetness is a must for this style, but also mentions that malt character should make itself present as the beer develops. Additionally hops should be low to medium and balance this beer out. I didn't find any balance in this beer at all, and it remained sweet (almost like chocolate milk) through the entire bottle. The one thing that was true to style was the exceptional smoothness.

If all Baltic Porters are like this, then I don't see myself enjoying them too much.

Not really what I was expecting. I bought two bottles, and will be saving one for an year, but I'm not going to rush out and buy another anytime soon. I'm hoping it improves with age, but the lack of hops doesn't give me much hope. If I were going to grade by style I'd give it a C+.

People on BeerAdvocate liked it more than I did.

I actually like a few of their offerings including the Smoked Porter.

Looking forward to trying the Birch Beer coming out soon.

Latest posts

Back