New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Advice please- Atlanta beer scene?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #21
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My wife and I really enjoy Publik (on the corner next to the Fox Theater) when we go to Atlanta for concerts. The beer selection isn't huge, but what they have is quite good and we've always been happy with the food for late night dining. The vibe has been very relaxed every time we've been there and not at all douchey like some of the places you can find in Midtown & Buckhead.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #22
Edb7
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Thanks everyone!

I am blown away by all of the helpful advice. Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I will be there from June 30 through July 7: I will post an evening beer invite if any of you care to join! I am guessing these places close early on Sunday, so I am thinking an outing on July 1st and maybe one more at the following weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
Edb,

Leaving town on the fourth, but PM me between now and then and I'll meet you out for a beer during the first part of your trip.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 03:54 AM   #23
Edb7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ha!

I love it. I used to spend hot summers at my Grandpa's house in Alabama and know first hand that the south really is a different universe.

Thanks for the input. I'll certainly grab some BBQ! You should come out for a beer if this plan pans out. I am going to start mapping out what is within walking distance for me and will send an invitation for anyone who is interested in grabbing a beer.

I am addicted to hops, by the way. Any local super bitter IPA's that you know of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickled_Pepper View Post
"You ain't from 'round here are you son?"

Old 05-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #24
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb7 View Post
I love it. I used to spend hot summers at my Grandpa's house in Alabama and know first hand that the south really is a different universe.

I am addicted to hops, by the way. Any local super bitter IPA's that you know of?
I'm a big advocate of "staying in place" when drinking but if you guys are around my area of town...then I'd love to stop by for a beer. I don't want to alter your plans, so just post here when you guys decide and I'll see if I can stop by.

I was born in Mobile and grew up around Atlanta...you never do get completely used to the heat, but you eventually just learn to live with it. haha...you'll get a big dose of it when you are here

Sweetwater Makes an IPA and a RyePA. Both are tasty, but not huge on hops. I think Terrapin's Hopsecutioner IPA is a pretty good beer. Probably in the neighborhood of 70-75 IBUs. Pretty sure you can only get those here, so give that one a try. Taco Mac should have it and maybe even on tap in some locations.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #25
jsberry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
"You ain't from 'round here are you son?"
The problem isn't that I'm not from around here, it's that you don't get away from here much.

The Atlanta "beer scene" is well below that of other cities at or near the same size. There is a fair selection of pubs with large bottle beer selection, and a few places with okay draft selection, but most of them have weak food. There is an increasing number of good restaurants that have a good but small beer selection. The local breweries are below-average at best (5 Seasons was good in 2009-10 but has declined). And if he's stuck on foot downtown then the selection is even worse. The best bet for beer sampling is Taco Mac (the menu is huge but be prepared to hear "sorry we're out of that one"). Publik has better food but is a long walk. A taxi ride to Hop City might be a good investment to shop for bottles (maybe they ship).

Of course the people are nice here - people are nice everywhere.

Good luck.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #26
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsberry View Post
The problem isn't that I'm not from around here, it's that you don't get away from here much.
I've been 'away' plenty and always seem to find my way back to Atlanta. It's my home and instead of telling someone "it sucks here, don't bother" I try and look on the sunny side of life. As I said, we don't have the fancy brew pubs like the northwest US, london or munich, (yes, I've been to all of these places) but it's worth helping him find a few places around town to enjoy the trip.

We have a pretty good transit system (of course there will be a discussion about how it isn't as good as Paris or NYC) and you can get most places on a train or a bus.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #27
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsberry

The Atlanta "beer scene" is well below that of other cities at or near the same size.
If that's how you feel, then you are welcome to leave this thread. Good luck to you.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #28
Edb7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Awesome!

I just got back from Hop City- a very helpful staff and a respectable selection of beers. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox97 View Post
Hop City is a great store. They claim over 2000 beers I think. I know they have the best selection I have found as well as a lot of growler fills with a lot of locals. They are also a small homebrew shop.
Hit sweetwater, and if you have time Jailhouse Brewing below Atl and terrapin brewing.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #29
Edb7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I have arrived

And I'm staying at the Omni (CNN Tower). Let me know if you guys wanted to have a brew this week. The hotel bar gave me an introduction to a few Atlanta brews. I'd have to say the Red Brick and Terrapin IPA's were the best of what I sampled. Sweetwater's heffe was decent too. I may check out Taco Macs tonight. Take care and thanks again for the scouting report.

Quote:
I'm a big advocate of "staying in place" when drinking but if you guys are around my area of town...then I'd love to stop by for a beer. I don't want to alter your plans, so just post here when you guys decide and I'll see if I can stop by.

I was born in Mobile and grew up around Atlanta...you never do get completely used to the heat, but you eventually just learn to live with it. haha...you'll get a big dose of it when you are here

Sweetwater Makes an IPA and a RyePA. Both are tasty, but not huge on hops. I think Terrapin's Hopsecutioner IPA is a pretty good beer. Probably in the neighborhood of 70-75 IBUs. Pretty sure you can only get those here, so give that one a try. Taco Mac should have it and maybe even on tap in some locations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
Edb,

Leaving town on the fourth, but PM me between now and then and I'll meet you out for a beer during the first part of your trip.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #30
Edb7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default I have arrived

Oops- double post. I blame the beer!

Quick Reply