New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Abita Jockamo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 12:13 AM   #11
fivehoursfree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just had the Satsuma Wit. Decent, not great. I recently tried S.A. BlackBerry Wit, Harpoon UFO White, and the Satsuma. I'd rank them UFO, Abita, S.A.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #12
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Had Jockamo at a Cajun restaurant myself a week or so ago. It's pretty malty for my style of IPA, but if I didn't think about drinking an IPA, it was a fantastic beer. I've also had Turbodog and thought it was quite good.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
rickfrothingham
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Jackamo is great for what it is, but it's definitely not similar to the standard American IPA/West Coast IPA that you're used to. Whereas most american IPA's are dominated by citrus/floral hop characteristic (think DFH 60-minute, Bell's 2 Hearted, Stone IPA), the Jackamo IPA is packed full of PUNGENT and EARTHY hop flavor characteristics. It has a powerful dank aroma, almost like fresh marijuana.

The thing with hops is, they can be used to push a beer in many different directions - from citrus or floral to piney, earthy, pungeant, even towards mint or garlic flavors in some cases. Abita just chose to go a different direction with their hop flavoring/aroma than most other american IPAs.

I'd highly recommend giving it a whirl, but keep your expectations open. After a couple of them, the flavor really grows on you. It will definitely bring a new appreciation of the complexity of hop flavors.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #14
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've just downed my first Jockamo. Wasn't expecting much due to a B rating, but was very pleased with this brew. Piney, RESINEY, earthy hop profile with some sweet fruity citrus. Certainly has a nice malt backbone for balance. One of the more drinkable IPAs I've had, VERY drinkable. Love the mouthfeel & flavor.

Would love to know what the hop profile/hops used is for Jockamo?

As for other Abita biers. Purple Haze is one of the worst biers I've ever had, certainly the worst fruit bier. It's total crap. However the Amber is a nice quaffer & Turbodog is very nice. However Andygator is a must try. Don't expect it to surpass the best biers in the world, but it's an amazingly good malty bier. Pecan harvest is quite good and worth the try but takes second place to Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 12-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
redbone
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
I've just downed my first Jockamo. Wasn't expecting much due to a B rating, but was very pleased with this brew. Piney, RESINEY, earthy hop profile with some sweet fruity citrus. Certainly has a nice malt backbone for balance. One of the more drinkable IPAs I've had, VERY drinkable. Love the mouthfeel & flavor.

Would love to know what the hop profile/hops used is for Jockamo?

As for other Abita biers. Purple Haze is one of the worst biers I've ever had, certainly the worst fruit bier. It's total crap. However the Amber is a nice quaffer & Turbodog is very nice. However Andygator is a must try. Don't expect it to surpass the best biers in the world, but it's an amazingly good malty bier. Pecan harvest is quite good and worth the try but takes second place to Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan.
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (90 min) Hops 44.3 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

I guarantee that is spot on.

Quick Reply