New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > AB Shock Top (warning?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 03:03 AM   #1
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 579 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default AB Shock Top (warning?)

SWMBO and I went to BW3 (a hot wings chain) last night, and I was quite surprised to find that they had nearly 30 beers on tap. I was also quite disappointed to find that they had about 25 American lagers on tap and about 5 rather run-of-the-mill imports. I asked for something "not so common," and the waiter suggested "Shock Top." Having never heard of it, I bit. When he brought it, I thought of sending it back, thinking, "This guy just brought me a Blue Moon." I took another few sips, and thought, "Wait, this doesn't taste as good(?) as Blue Moon." Turns out, I got duped into trying Anheuser-Busch's latest attempt at upsetting the craft beer market. It's crap. Don't bother.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 03:11 AM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
SWMBO and I went to BW3 (a hot wings chain) last night, and I was quite surprised to find that they had nearly 30 beers on tap. I was also quite disappointed to find that they had about 25 American lagers on tap and about 5 rather run-of-the-mill imports. I asked for something "not so common," and the waiter suggested "Shock Top." Having never heard of it, I bit. When he brought it, I thought of sending it back, thinking, "This guy just brought me a Blue Moon." I took another few sips, and thought, "Wait, this doesn't taste as good(?) as Blue Moon." Turns out, I got duped into trying Anheuser-Busch's latest attempt at upsetting the craft beer market. It's crap. Don't bother.

GAWD. What a joke. A-B is so desperate. They introduced the lime/salt beer too, to compete with Miller Chill.

A-B is a parody of itself.

Regarding BWW, we just got one here last month, and the beer sucks balls. I've complained to the manager to no avail. Literally it is 30 taps of swill. They can't even get a SNPA? Ridiculous.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 05-08-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You know I saw that in the store and I thought it must be a BMC product. The bright, cartoon like packaging just yells BMC crap in disguise.

It is kind of like the Joe Camel of the beer world.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:22 AM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 579 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
It is kind of like the Joe Camel of the beer world.
At least Joe Camel was cool.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:28 AM   #5
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tried shock top at AB's hospitality bar at sea world this weekend. Tasted like bananna pudding. Their stout sucked, too.

[I'm back!]

Old 05-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

In my opinion they are not doing themselves any favors.

Their (failing) attempt to brew beers that appeal to true beer lovers is going to back fire. EAC’s will bash them and beer review sites/periodicals will expose them as profit seekers and not beer enthusiasts.

Once the public begins hearing that AB failed to brew a decent stout…the next logical question is “is it possible that they just aren’t really good at brewing any style of beer?”

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 05-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

Their (failing) attempt to brew beers that appeal to true beer lovers is going to back fire. EAC’s will bash them and beer review sites/periodicals will expose them as profit seekers and not beer enthusiasts.

Once the public begins hearing that AB failed to brew a decent stout…the next logical question is “is it possible that they just aren’t really good at brewing any style of beer?”
You'd think they be able to take some Guiness and just slap an different label on it.

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Old 05-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

Well we all know the answer to that, but my 50-something neihbors, a couple who start every morning with bud cans on their front porch, will never learn!

Corrupt Brewers

Old 05-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3453

Quote:

The only trouble is, a lot of BMC drinkers may try to "expand their horizons" by trying an AB stout or wit for the first time thinking that (in their naive eyes) that "Bud is a good beer, so if it comes from the makers of Bud, it MUST be good..." (ewwww)

Then not liking it they might then think that ALL wits or Stouts or "craft" beers in general taste bad. So it may actually keep people drinking their Bud and not trying a real example of that particular style....

Then after their line fails AB can go back to their old anti craft beer marketing and say "We told you that Stouts and Wits and Ales taste bad, so here, this Bud's for you!"

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
This is the same beer that they've had out for a a couple of years now. It was previously named Spring Heat, Summer Wheat. They renamed it earlier this year.

Quick Reply