Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > 3 year old Young's oatmeal stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 02:23 AM   #1
earlytimes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 3 year old Young's oatmeal stout

I picked up a 500ml Young's oatmeal stout over the weekend just to try it to see if I might like to brew a "clone" recipie, and as I was pouring it, I noticed the best before date was October 05.

I was less than impressed with it. It was a little bland, not very creamy.

Would three years past the best before date ruin a beer like this, or is this typical and I just don't like oatmeal stouts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 02:37 AM   #2
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The date could affect it, depending on the storage. Young's isn't terrible, but not a great example (IMO).

I love British beers, but it's hit-or-miss in the states. My local haunt used to carry Fullers (pale and porter were my 2 fav's), and I and others regularly purchased it... fresh and yummy. I picked up one a year ago from a different locale, and I actually dumped it. Stale, old, terrible.

Try a fresher one! Call it research!

Old 11-18-2008, 03:50 AM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yeah. A beer like that shouldn't be that old. I'm thinking there's no way it was cellared properly or anything and even then, the alcohol content isn't where it would need to be to keep that beer up.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:53 AM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have rarely had good experiences with imported bottled beers. Most places do not know how to store it or handle it. Youngs Oatmeal only has 5.2% ABV, so it's not going to age well regardless. In this case I'd say it's the beer and not you.

Make Beer, Not War.

Quick Reply