Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > 2008 Sierra Nevada Big Foot Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 02:01 AM   #11
maltMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have 1 bottle I found the other day. I'm debating about whether to drink it now or cellar it for awhile. I really dislike bitter beers, but I could find a couple more bottles, cellar some and try some of the 'tasting experiments' mentioned above....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2008, 02:04 AM   #12
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

maltMonkey, if you only have one bottle, I'd suggest cracking it open and having a go at it. My guess is that you'll find it a tad bitter for your taste, but there's no need to waste the cash on a second bottle if you hate the first. It will mellow a bit over time, but if you don't like it today, it won't change enough to change your mind in several years.

On the other hand, if you like it but find it just a tad harsh, buy another and cellar it.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:10 AM   #13
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks Yuri--I will give it a go.

I've heard about this beer for several years but the 2008 will be my first time trying it--so far the people I've talked to say that it's a little different every year.

We'll see!

Old 03-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
scottthorn
Recipes 

I picked up a 6er a couple weeks ago and had my first bottle last weekend. This year's edition has a wonderful complexity and was big enough on both hops and malt to really tantalize the senses, while remaining relatively in balance - admittedly, I'm a hop head. Each sip inspired me to take another, relishing each sample. I *loved* it! So much, that I dashed off a quick note of appreciation to an online acquaintance who happens to be a brewer at SN. I mentioned that I was going to cellar some and he replied with this advice:

Quote:
It's the only beer we make you should age in my opinion. I prefer 6 to 12 months max.
Take that FWIW...
nothing
Drinking/Aging (bottles):
American Stout, Breakfast Stout clone, Rye IPA, Braggot, Roggenbier, Pale Ale, Oat Stout, Apfelwein, Pliny Clone

Old 03-23-2008, 02:30 AM   #15
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I'm not sure that I'm going to cellar this one at all. I like it the way it is, and it's not all that special to me other than the fact that I managed to snag a sixer of it before availability disappeared.

On a pairing note - I just enjoyed a Macanudo Maduro with a Big Foot, and it was a fantastic match. For you cigar buffs, it's definitely a beer you can sip with a smoke.

Quick Reply