Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > What do you print your labels on?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 02:49 AM   #11
ricrellim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have to say I just tried the milk and I am amazed. This is super cool.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 12:11 AM   #12
Beer Lover
Recipes 

I'm brand new to homebrew and am already looking ahead to labels so I find this thread and forum great but how do make them? More specifically is there a program that you use or can download like people use for cd copying? I have no idea.... Thanks for the help.
Ben

Old 01-28-2008, 12:15 AM   #13
Calvinfan1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I use the Avery labels along with Microsoft Publisher, if you have it. They have label templates especially for bottles and jars that fit perfectly on beer bottles. It also makes it easy to make a cool, colorful label without a lot of effort.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:48 AM   #14
rabidgerbil
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use Avery labels also, but do my layout and design in Photoshop. Once the labels are printed, I take them down into the basement and spray them with a light coat of matte finish spray shellac. I usually go for about three very light coats of the shellac, and they look fantastic. They are also VERY water proof, at least from the front side. If left in an ice bath for too long, the water starts to seep down behind the labels, through the adhesive, and they start bleeding UNDER the shellac. You still don't get anything on your hands, but the labels will quite literally slide right off the bottles.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:23 AM   #15
Beer Lover
Recipes 

Thanks, I'll have to look into those programs when the time comes. Sounds cool. Lookin forward to making my own

Old 02-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #16
JonnyO
Recipes 

I'm a newbie brewer too. On good tip I got from this site after my first brew had to do with printing your labels on your printer. If you have an inkjet printer like I do, your labels will bleed if they get any water on them. The solution....print a page of labels on your inkjet, then use a color photocopier to make all your copies. The copies won't bleed. Haven't tried the Avery Labels yet.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:22 AM   #17
archmaker
Recipes 

Milk will work as the protein in it will work as a glue. If you want a more serious but cheap water soluble glue use Gelatin. Plain unflavored Knox gelatin.

One of my other hobbies is making traditional longbows and one of the glues I have used is Gelatin. A test was done using two pieces and maple and gelatin, and the maple broke before the glue joint did. Better than 2-ton epoxy.

Also you can use cottage cheese as a glue (No I have never done it )

I am prepared to meet my maker, however, I am not sure that my maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me. -Churchhill

Old 02-04-2008, 02:36 AM   #18
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I get assorted color parchment paper in the craft section at Wally World. I stick 'em on the bottle with Duck glue sticks (what else would Fat Duc Brewing use?), which is water soluble and releases the labels after just a few seconds in a sink full of warm water.

Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 02-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #19
sanders5x
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you have access to a laser printer, use it for you labels and they won't run when they get wet! Color lasers do exist, but they are a little harder to find.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #20
Oakwolf@visi.com
Recipes 

Just wanted to check in to cast a vote for the milk-as-glue label method. As mentioned, these do come off in an icy cooler, but as one who usually takes 'em straight from the fridge, you just can't beat this. It's free, it's a very strong bond, and the labels rinse right off in warm water. I've tried everything and I don't even consider any other method these days.

Quick Reply