The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > What the devil is a "fired-on"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
FabulousVagabond
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Default What the devil is a "fired-on"

I was looking at a preview of "Beer Craft: A Simple Guide to Making Great Beer," and in the table of contents under the chapter about designing labels and bottle caps, there's a section about designing fired-ons. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what a fired-on is. I've never heard of it, and my search efforts are bringing up any relevant results.

I think beer may actually get me to settle down. Which would be awesome.

FabulousVagabond.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 175

Assuming it's the labels like Stone's. But don't know and am curious as well. Subscribed.....

Old 12-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Is the design process involving making a stencil? Maybe it's some sort of heat set printing. Like where you apply a glue to whatever through a stencil, then dust it with a colored heat set powder which you then use a heat gun on it, to set the ink and raise the letters, and you end up with embossed letters?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
funkadelicturkey
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 2229

My guess is the image is printed using special ink to a Transfer paper then using a kiln transferred onto a bottle.

More info here: http://www.fired-on.com/

Old 12-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

That looks amazing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
FabulousVagabond
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

I asked the authors of the book. Their answer: "label painted directly on the bottle glass." I'm guessing the "fired" part has to do with heating the paint so that it's permanent. Makes a lot more sense now.

I think beer may actually get me to settle down. Which would be awesome.

FabulousVagabond.com

Old 12-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
ruralbrew
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I guess I got a "fired on" pint glass as a Christmas present. My daughter used glass paint to paint designs on glasses, they heated them in the oven to make the paint permanent.
So I have a custom pint glass that says "Dad's Homebrew" on it.

I may be ignorant but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion
Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply