Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Using milk to stick on labels?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #61
Casedeville
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made a quick video of how I use this method. It's worked really well for me. I used non-fat milk, and no brush.

http://youtu.be/II37YITuuNU

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #62
StanJohnson
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Nice video. Thanks.

RDWIWBB

Stan

Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #63
bmasyga
Recipes 

Do you need to refrigerate right away? Or could I label them as I bottle them and let sit for a few months?

Old 03-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #64
sirpilsofd
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casedeville View Post
I made a quick video of how I use this method. It's worked really well for me. I used non-fat milk, and no brush.

Great video. I just did my first set and I noticed that there are some wrinkles due to excess milk. Their all dry now so it's shouldn't stink. But I never thought to line up the labels with the seam of the bottle and rolling it on the table is much better then how I did them with the bottles standing up. I'm going to use your technique on the next batch.

Cheers!

Old 03-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #65
Casedeville
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmasyga View Post
Do you need to refrigerate right away? Or could I label them as I bottle them and let sit for a few months?
I don't have the space in my fridge for all the bottles, so I only refrigerate a couple at a time to have ready to drink. The rest just sit in boxes at room temperature without any problems.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #66
Casedeville
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpilsofd View Post
Great video. I just did my first set and I noticed that there are some wrinkles due to excess milk. Their all dry now so it's shouldn't stink. But I never thought to line up the labels with the seam of the bottle and rolling it on the table is much better then how I did them with the bottles standing up. I'm going to use your technique on the next batch.

Cheers!
Yeah, just a little contact with the milk will be plenty. I've also noticed that wider labels (ones the wrap further around the bottle) are more prone to wrinkles, so I use even less milk on those. Well, I try to use less milk, but I am usually enjoying a homebrew at the time, and we know how that goes.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:26 AM   #67
balickma
Recipes 

Posting so I can find this later

Old 07-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #68
FTG-05
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casedeville View Post

That's a great video!

Unfortunately, the milk labels aren't working out too well for me, they are all falling off, before I put them in the refrigerator or either shortly thereafter.

I put them on them pretty much the same was as Case is doing in his video above, except that I wrap my bottle/label with a paper towel instead of using a paper towel to wipe the label down. That shouldn't make any difference, but my labels are still coming off.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #69
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Did you say that you were immediately putting them into the refrigerator or shortly after? I've noticed that when I do that the milk hardens weird and they fall right off. I wipe the outside of the bottles before I stick them with a moistened paper towel to make sure they are super clean. Then after I stick the labels, I leave them out for a couple more days. Straight up like cement on them bottles. The bottles should also be room temp when you go to stick them. I had trouble trying to label beer straight out of the fridge.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #70
FTG-05
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMang View Post
Did you say that you were immediately putting them into the refrigerator or shortly after? I've noticed that when I do that the milk hardens weird and they fall right off. I wipe the outside of the bottles before I stick them with a moistened paper towel to make sure they are super clean. Then after I stick the labels, I leave them out for a couple more days. Straight up like cement on them bottles. The bottles should also be room temp when you go to stick them. I had trouble trying to label beer straight out of the fridge.
My bad, let me clarify: My cleaned bottles are at room temperature and remain that way for at least several days while either finishing their bottle conditioning or because I'm not ready to drink them and I just leave at room temps.

My labels will either fall off before they get to the frige or shortly after they get there.

What am I doing wrong?

Quick Reply