Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Use KNOX! It's the best label adhesive

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #51
nonameisgood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthaug View Post
Has anyone done this on plastic bottles? Does it work as well on them as on glass? Plastic is my standard for cottage/camping, but I use glass for gifts & have only tried on glass so far (XMas 6-packs).

Bryan
I put labels on 20 PET bottles last night. I used a foam paint brush to wet the bottle and then applied the dry labels to that coating. They stuck well. But, today, I grabbed one from the fridge to check the label and it immediately fell off. I put another labeled bottle that was on the counter under cold water and it, too, fell right off.

I will try again today with a label that is damp with the gelatin solution and see if maybe that will work, but I doubt it, since the labels did soak thru last night after being applied to the bottle. I think the PET is just too dense on the surface, which is why the bottlers use a hot glue of sorts.

I will try mucilage and rubber cement today also.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 02:36 AM   #52
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Maybe try making your mixture a little thicker to see if it works better on plastic. I haven't tried it on plastic but I feel like there could be some differences. Mainly, glass doesn't bend at all. I wonder if a simple squeeze of the plastic just dislodges all of the hardened gelatin.

Otherwise this has happened with glass bottles when the gelatin mixture is too thin, or the water used to make the gelatin mixture wasn't near boiling.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #53
Warthaug
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
I put labels on 20 PET bottles last night. I used a foam paint brush to wet the bottle and then applied the dry labels to that coating. They stuck well. But, today, I grabbed one from the fridge to check the label and it immediately fell off. I put another labeled bottle that was on the counter under cold water and it, too, fell right off.

I will try again today with a label that is damp with the gelatin solution and see if maybe that will work, but I doubt it, since the labels did soak thru last night after being applied to the bottle. I think the PET is just too dense on the surface, which is why the bottlers use a hot glue of sorts.

I will try mucilage and rubber cement today also.
Dammit! I had the same issue with milk. I think the issue is milk/gelatin are rigid once dried, so they don't handle flexible bottles well.

Bryan
Wines: Petit Noir, Liebfraumilch, Shiraz

My blog: Recipes, Wild Yeasts, Yeast Farming, Yeast Exchange & More!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #54
nonameisgood
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Last night, I mixed a batch using just enough boiling water. This morning the labels slide off easily. The remainder of the gelation was allowed to set up in the container and was its normal gelatinous self. I'm pretty sure the gelatin us a no go for PET bottles.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #55
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I'm pretty sure this is THE BEST way to label glass bottles. Coolest Shizzy EVAR! THANKS BE TO THE OP!!!!!!

EDIT: Here ya go...

Beer label using gelatin

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp
sidepart Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #56
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcrew02 View Post
I'm pretty sure this is THE BEST way to label glass bottles. Coolest Shizzy EVAR! THANKS BE TO THE OP!!!!!!

EDIT: Here ya go...

Beer label using gelatin
Nice! And here I am still placing the bottles into boiling water! I added your video to the OP.

I have to be honest, I probably wouldn't label beers if this process didn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
Last night, I mixed a batch using just enough boiling water. This morning the labels slide off easily. The remainder of the gelation was allowed to set up in the container and was its normal gelatinous self. I'm pretty sure the gelatin us a no go for PET bottles.
That's really disappointing to hear, thanks for your efforts on testing this out. I'm sorry that it wasn't successful for PET. I updated the OP to reflect this.

Cold Smoking Hops Guide

Old 01-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #57
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameisgood
What about lightly hair drying the tacky label after it set up overnight on the PET
Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 03-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #58
Pastorken
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Excellent thread! I've been using this method for the last few batches and have had great results. The ink from my ink jet printer still runs a little when they get wet, but they stay on in the cold and come right off when I soak them in a sink of hot water.
I got a little backed up in my labeling and just got done labeling 6 cases (I know, stupid!) and with just ONE packet of Knox. Every time it started to get thick I'd pop it in the microwave for about 20 seconds and it went back to liquid. Took about 90 minutes to do all of it including about 5 minutes drying time in between cases.
Thanks again for the tip!

Old 04-29-2013, 03:29 AM   #59
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Just a note, if people do want this thread stickied, just shoot a message to the mod. I feel like it's bad form to do it myself.

Cold Smoking Hops Guide

Old 04-29-2013, 03:49 AM   #60
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3184 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 2712

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidepart View Post
Just a note, if people do want this thread stickied, just shoot a message to the mod. I feel like it's bad form to do it myself.
No need. I've been watching. Added to the project locator in DIY. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/project-locator-69953/

I haven't tried it myself (quit bottling a while ago), but I'll give it a go in place of my old milk trick.

Quick Reply