Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > Use KNOX! It's the best label adhesive

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #31
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyirishmen View Post
what laser printer do you use? im looking to get one for this, but I don't want to spend a million bucks. I still want a quality print though. I was looking at this one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113695
Probably worth making a new post for this so others can chime in. I use the following printer: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Color-Laser-Printer-CLP-620ND/dp/B002VPU9E4

It prints simple labels that I make using vector art (in Adobe Illustrator) well, but it's not so great with actual photographs (much to my disappointment). I can't really speak to the quality of the printer you've posted. I'm no expert. However if you're looking to throw out your inkjet and go full laser, understand that printing color documents and photographs are two different things. I haven't found a laser printer that prints photos to my liking. So if photographs (aside from beer labels) are important to you, maybe keep the inkjet on standby for that.

If you have a microcenter or something like that nearby, maybe take along a picture or label you want to print out. They usually will let you test the print quality.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #32
jasonsbeer
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Followed this procedure tonight and I am impressed. This is a great idea. The gelatin is very tacky and the labels stick right on.

I took 1/2 cup of hot tap water and added a packet of Knox. I mixed it a little bit with a spoon, but it wasn't completely disolving. I stuck it in the microwave for 15 seconds and stirred again. This time got it completely disolved. I filled a 1 fl oz squirt bottle and sprayed the backs of three labels at a time. Once they touch the bottle they are pretty firm, so you want to square up the label before too much paper contacts the bottle. I labeled 28 bottles with maybe 1/2 fl oz of the mixture. A little goes a long ways.

After just a few minutes of drying they labels are very firmly attached. I tried to pull one off and the label was tearing.

It's a little late for me tonight, but after work tomorrow I'll soak a labeled bottle in a cooler for a few hours to see what happens. Regardless of the results of the cooler experiment tomorrow, this is a great way to label bottles.

I vote STICKY! Kudos to Sidepart!

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

Old 11-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #33
rearview
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tried this method tonight and it worked great! It is a bit hard to get the stuff to dissolve, but it didn't seem to matter.

Last edited by rearview; 12-06-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: typo

Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #34
jasonsbeer
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Here are the results of my "cooler" test. Rousing success in my opinion.

The bottles with labels sat overnight, about 21 hours. I grabbed a bottle to test on, one that I attached the label a little cock-eyed.

I soaked it in a "cooler" for 2 1/2 hours (I couldn't wait any longer)

The extracated bottle.

I started in the corner, trying to peel the label off. The Knox held fairly firm, no chance this label was going to fall off. It is notable that even though the Knox adhesive held well, it was very easy to scrub the remaing paper off with my thumb nail. This is just about perfect - strong enough to hold on in water, but weak enough to remove with minimal effort.

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

Old 11-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #35
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Hallelujah!! Thanks "sidepart" for bringing this wonderful trick to our attention! I've saved at least an hour (probably closer to two) using this method in just one batch over my closest alternatives. Easy on easy off.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #36
sidepart
Some guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsbeer View Post
I took 1/2 cup of hot tap water and added a packet of Knox. I mixed it a little bit with a spoon, but it wasn't completely disolving. I stuck it in the microwave for 15 seconds and stirred again. This time got it completely disolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rearview View Post
I tried this method tonight and it worked great! It is a but hard to get the stuff to dissolve, but it didn't seem to matter.
Glad to see people are having success with the method! I don't think I've ever been "nominated" for a sticky...on any forum.

If you're having trouble dissolving the gelatin, try adding more water. This is especially the case if it's sort of "snotty". Adding some more water will dilute it and thin it out. Still adheres pretty well. I've gotten my gelatin mixture to be pretty thin and was surprised by how well it worked still. Second tip is to make sure the water is near the boiling point too. Think of how you make jello, because it's the same stuff. If the water isn't hot enough, you just get pasty boogers.

Cold Smoking Hops Guide

Old 11-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #37
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidepart

Probably worth making a new post for this so others can chime in. I use the following printer: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Color-Laser-Printer-CLP-620ND/dp/B002VPU9E4

It prints simple labels that I make using vector art (in Adobe Illustrator) well, but it's not so great with actual photographs (much to my disappointment). I can't really speak to the quality of the printer you've posted. I'm no expert. However if you're looking to throw out your inkjet and go full laser, understand that printing color documents and photographs are two different things. I haven't found a laser printer that prints photos to my liking. So if photographs (aside from beer labels) are important to you, maybe keep the inkjet on standby for that.

If you have a microcenter or something like that nearby, maybe take along a picture or label you want to print out. They usually will let you test the print quality.
Fwiw you can use water resistant inkjet inks. Most manufacturers make them and the quality of the prints will be much better than laser. I had a friend give me a sample from his hp using the photo inks (which are water proof) and it came out great. Sure, it might be relatively expensive to print on inkjet, but the quality can't be beat and you won't have to buy a brand new printer.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #38
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Just tried it. I used 1/2 cup of water and microwaved it. Labeled 48 beers and put it on with a small paint brush. It was easy and it seemed like I didn't even use much of the liquid. I had an extra label and an extra bottle so later I am going to try and remove it after applying it earlier tonight.

The label came off with a little hot water in the bottle like I was rinsing the bottle out.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal), Schepen
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk, Dog Days Saison
Up coming beers:

Old 12-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #39
Warthaug
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Down with milk!

I too have had great success with this method - 1/2 cup boiling water poured onto 1 packet knox = great glue. Comes off with hot tap water, but not in cold water (even with an overnight soak!).

I'd like to nominate this thread for a stiky.

Bryan

Wines: Petit Noir, Liebfraumilch, Shiraz

My blog: Recipes, Wild Yeasts, Yeast Farming, Yeast Exchange & More!

Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #40
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

+1 for a sticky! Especially for a thread that's all about being sticky!

I love this method more every time I finish a bottle. A quick douse in hot water to rinse it out and a little on the label and the label comes right off totally cleanly. No scraping, no soaking, easy as can be, but only when you want it to. I can't imagine a better way to label.

Oh, and great idea with the spray bottle, too. I'll have to try that next time. Does the bottle get gummed up? My fingers got kind of sticky with a brush.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Quick Reply